Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: RI
Style: Surf
Gear: Rebel 09's, surfboards....
Brand Affiliation: None

Barbados Kiting

Postby Sfraz484 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Has anyone Been to Barbados for Kiting, wondered what the primary wind direction is, wave conditions, and where to ride. Looking to grab wave sessions. I'm staying on the south side on Accra Beach. Also, anyone surf the area close to Accra Beach (Rockley Beach) as a car may be an issue. Thanks for any advice.

-Sfraz484

islandbound
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Re: Barbados Kiting

Postby islandbound » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Kited there two years ago and going back over the Holidays. Silver Sands/Silver Rock are the primary kite beaches, has a section of large breaking waves with some space of rollers between them and the beach. Long Beach was a longer and much less crowded beach that had a bit more shore break but more area to ride without the big breakers going further out. When I was riding it was pretty much side or side on shore on these beaches, if you get blown past Silversands beach there is only Rescue beach left to land in - not sure what happens if you dont make that beach as its pretty much bluffs from there. Make sure to hit Friday Fish market at Oystins for great Fish Fry and Surfers bar Resturaunt from open error bar and great meals. Steve also teachs (Red - eye kiting)

Sfraz484
Rare Poster

Postby Sfraz484 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks a bunch for the info, I'll make sure to stop at those spots.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:20 pm

What he said. Winds are mostly from the East, so Accra/Rockley tends to be a bit offshore - it can also get packed with swimmers.

Silver Rock/Sands gets some shelter from the reef, so there's an area of only slightly choppy water between the beach and the breakers. The beach is quite small, and quite busy, but there are showers and places to get eats and drinks.

Long Beach is about a mile of beautiful beach with (sometimes) a nasty shore break, and nothing else. Personally I prefer Long Beach - the space and lack of crowds makes up for the absence of any facilities, getting beaten up on the way in and out of the water, and occasionally losing my board in the swell.

Public transport's not bad (by island standards), so it's not the end of the world if you can't get a car.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:47 pm

5 days to go :bye:

salvino
Medium Poster

Postby salvino » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:50 am

I'm going to Barbados mid Feb and staying at the Crane. I plan on kiting at Silver Rock/Sands and Long beach. After you return can you post some feedback?

Sfraz484
Rare Poster

Postby Sfraz484 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:56 am

Will do, I will be there from the 7th-13th of December. Hope to have a good report....

Doris
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Mallorca
Favorite Beaches: Depends on the wind and the beginners
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Custom Made Board 128x38.5 RRD Obsessions.

Postby Doris » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Well, if any of you are still deciding on where to stay... I went to Barbardos two years ago and rented a studio just a few steps from Long Beach and Surfers POint. This studio belogs to a local guy his name is Martin, very helpful, great guitar player, fantastics surfer, knows all there is to know about the place and the poeple! And quite cheap...
His telephone number just is case is: +12462330222

Enjoy and don't miss out on Tuesday nights at the market.
:cool2:

Sfraz484
Rare Poster

Postby Sfraz484 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Salvino,

Got back from Barbados on Saturday. The conditions are great but we did miss the waves for kiting. They said it was extremely unusual for it to be as flat as it was at silver sands/long beach. There were waves to surf however on the north east side at and around Soup Bowls. You can ride every day almost garaunteed if you have a 14/12m as the trade winds are very consistent. I only brought a 10m and a surfboard and it was fine if you could hit the timing right. I would suggest something like a 14/10/7 set up or something similar. Brian Talma said the mornings are typically the windiest and make sure to check out his shop at Silver Sands. The people in Barbados are extremely fun and friendly and have a great attitude. Hope you enjoy the NE trade winds and warm water...

Return to “Kitesurfing”