Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

3 month kiting hideaway??? Please advise (have spent hours!)

forum for kitesurfers

FUNKERSON
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Local? well a few round scotland - but my kiting expereince has relly been gained in Cambodia, Fiji and predominantly WA!
Favorite Beaches: Would have to be Shark Bay, Northern WA, Australia - a 7 km bay with perfect 22/26kt wind 6/7 days in a bay no deeper than chest height for 2 kms out - also guaranteed to spot a few reef sharks on every run - what a buzz - oh yeah and we were the only 2 people out there for 3 months! :)

also great down winders jumping from island to island on the great barrief reef
Style: oh im supposed to have one eh?
Gear: anything i get - not one of these fussy fuc*er types
Brand Affiliation: None

3 month kiting hideaway??? Please advise (have spent hours!)

Postby FUNKERSON » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Got 3 months off work Jan - Mar and planning to head off kiting somewhere......
Spent a lot of time in SE Asia and WA - amazing! - Know plenty here if your lookin!

Now looking for somewhere different i can hide out for 3 months kiting 6 days a week. Not looking for huge scene or crazy partys just a small crowd of chilled folks who like a drink and a smoke after a sweet days riding - ideally somewhere cheap and basic, hopefully still mixing somewhat with the local crowd, also willing to do whatever needs done where i am (helped build a local restaurant in Cambodia in exchange for free meals etc)

Have looked at Jericoacoara/Prea (wrong time of year?!?) Morroco (maybe a little strict for me?!?) Cape verde (a little expensive for me?!?) etc for hours & hours online aaaahhhhhh- looking for a first hand recommendation from a similar type of person

Read enough smart arse comments to last me a life time, so save it, if thats all you've got
any genuine advice greatly appreciated
Dougie

dragonpig
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Re: 3 month kiting hideaway??? Please advise (have spent hours!)

Postby dragonpig » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Have you thought about Cape Town ?

Cheap , fun , great wind!!!! You can always get ureself a van and do a road trip up the garden route. Im actually gonna check out a few spots up the wild coast over the next few weeks. Will report back if i find any good ones.

Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated.

Check out the ikiteboarding.com forum.

Im a Saffa living in HK always looking for new spots up in Asia. Know about Mui Ne and Boracay, but if u know a few secret spots pls let me know.

Good Luck

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:39 am

You can't go wrong with Perth... 'specially with the low Ozzie $ and great travel deals.

detourpr
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: San Juan
Favorite Beaches: Parguera (PR), St. Marteen, Aruba, Cabarete
Style: Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: SS RPM, North Fuse, Skywalker, LF

Postby detourpr » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 am

Jan - Mar?! Best time to come to Puerto Rico! Sailing season just started. We've been having 18+mph days and it will get better at the end of Jan. Here you can find cheap accomodations, cheap partying, awesome food, and a great diversity of kiting conditions. These months you can ride huge waves in Isabela or super flat water 2 hours away in Parguera (south coast) .
Lots of friendly kiters, reps and clubs. English and Spanish are spoken.

You can PM me for more info.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:30 pm

Mui Ne , Vietnam. I heard that was a great place to hang out and kite. I think its a good kite scene, and pretty safe to travel.

Anyone else know about Mui me

Andy

FUNKERSON
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Local? well a few round scotland - but my kiting expereince has relly been gained in Cambodia, Fiji and predominantly WA!
Favorite Beaches: Would have to be Shark Bay, Northern WA, Australia - a 7 km bay with perfect 22/26kt wind 6/7 days in a bay no deeper than chest height for 2 kms out - also guaranteed to spot a few reef sharks on every run - what a buzz - oh yeah and we were the only 2 people out there for 3 months! :)

also great down winders jumping from island to island on the great barrief reef
Style: oh im supposed to have one eh?
Gear: anything i get - not one of these fussy fuc*er types

Postby FUNKERSON » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:37 pm

much appreciated to all

Did WA last year - it was epic - but time for a change so looks like its gonna be CR or PR - both sound awesome

Thanks to all

Return to “Kitesurfing”