Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are kite boards getting to expensive?

forum for kitesurfers

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None

Are kite boards getting to expensive?

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:17 pm

i mean these are production boards, the 2009 Noble Nobile Shinn Twin about $1000( :o what the fuck) 2009 Nobile 666 about $900 :o 2009 Air rush Protoy about $900, just to name a few. For me to buy and pay for international shipping plus a 42% duty and 7% stamp taxs, :o. Can someone with the knowledge educate me on why these," Production!" boards are so expensive?please someone? I could understand if these was custom one off boards by a high end sharper or something, i mean production about causing the same as a kite and board package. WHY?? i really need to know

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Are kite boards getting to expensive?

Postby BWD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 pm

1. Kiters are suckers, pure and simple.
2. It's hard to make a buck these days.
3. Boards last a while, most people don't need new ones that often...
4. Sounds like you picked the wrong country to live in, for shopping at least.
Maybe you can elect someone that will reduce the import duty. NBL in the islands....
42% is ridiculous, but on the other hand so is the amount of sunshine you enjoy down there!
I bet if you go "fishing" in the gulf stream some day, one might just float up on your line, without the tax ;). I hear there are lots of boards near the western edge of the old gulf stream...

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby panchito » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:02 am

find out who is coming to your country for kite holidays , ask him/her to get you a board , invite him/her to a nice dinner , save some money on shipping & taxes .

You have no idea you *?(&)&%$·" how lucky you are living in a paradise .... so no place is perfect .... I live in probably the warmest place in Europe and I´m freezing my b*** right know.

Have fun :wink:

Saludos

Ps. yes boards are expensive even here .... I buy all my stuff off season or second hand.
Last edited by panchito on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 am

prayfawind27 wrote:i mean these are production boards, the 2009 Noble Nobile Shinn Twin about $1000( :o what the fuck) 2009 Nobile 666 about $900 :o 2009 Air rush Protoy about $900, just to name a few. For me to buy and pay for international shipping plus a 42% duty and 7% stamp taxs, :o. Can someone with the knowledge educate me on why these," Production!" boards are so expensive?please someone? I could understand if these was custom one off boards by a high end sharper or something, i mean production about causing the same as a kite and board package. WHY?? i really need to know

I dont really know, as the price 900-1000 dollars seem very very "normal" and reasonable (like always, maybe a tad less than some years ago in fact).

But as the dollar is pretty low now, your price might be very different than "mine"...

In Euro it would be 6-700 Euro as a "normal" price for boards (and always has been, so you could say they had fallen in price over the years since 2000).
A few are more expensive, and a few are cheaper - but not that many.

Some windsurfers cant understand why such a small board has these costs...
Well, the work and details are approximately the same, so that is fully understandable !

If you look at snowboards - they are the same price even for the "cheap" models (if you add bindings to the board price that is...), and many are much more expensive than kitesurf boards, eventhough they are mass produced and sold in a huge number compared to kitesurf boards 8)
So we should be happy they are not priced even higher :thumb:

But yes, I write my name and telephone number on my boards, because of the "value" :D

Kindly, Peter Frank

Adrian Roper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: The pooey Christchurch
Favorite Beaches: Pambula River mouth, Safety bay
Style: bit of everything
Gear: Underground/ Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Underground Kiteboards

Postby Adrian Roper » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:53 am

I think the key is the drop in the value of the US$ compared to the Euro and most other currencies?
Check the US $ exchange rate over the last year compared to pretty much any currency?

medved
Rare Poster

Postby medved » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:59 am

agree with Panchito. find some kind traveller to deliver board for you.

or try to ask producer to send board to you directly from production country. in such case customs value of the board will be less for abt the same amount as import taxes of your country.

(check out your import taxes once again. 49% - unbelievably huge!!)

i think that it is too early at the moment to look on prices of 2009 boards.
now it's time to buy 2008 boards. so as it's possible to test a lot of them or find enought reviews from real kitebrothers. prices are good.

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE

Postby hmattar » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:14 am

I wish I had his import rate! Here in Brazil the import rates are 60% if the value of the product is over 50$ us dollars.
Good for us is that pretty much all official dealers here works "under the law" and they don't pay taxes(the brazillian way of things) and we end up getting a price closer to other places(1000 for a new nobile around here too and I want one :( )

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 am

Regarding the comparison to snowboards, in the US a mid price (not the cheapest) board is around $500 (355 Euro), with bindings averaging half that. or less. So the total package would still end up 20-30% less than the high priced boards mentioned above.

Kiteboards, relatively speaking, are a rip off, in terms of cost.
But they work pretty well for riding on the water! :wink:
So if you think it is worth it, spend the money.
But keep in mind you could get a custom board hand made by someone in the US or Europe for a price close to (but less than) what those brands with fancy graphics charge for what a factory craps out of a mold. Or almost any surfboard you want, or even a lot of custom surfboards.

Of course, I welcome any manufacturer who wants to provide a complete explanation of their production process and costs, but I won't hold my breath.

bahamaskite1234
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby bahamaskite1234 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 am

Oh well I guess Im one of those suckers who feel for the 09 board marketing :bye: Just waiting on the wind to give the 09 NHP a whirl......pesky wind....

hey pray, I found the hidden diamonds on the board!

gibsonandpickett
Medium Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:08 am

Most boards are production boards made in huge quantities. They should not cost that much. They mostly made in China and probably wouldnt cost more than $100. Whose making money? 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”