Tonyfo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Cherry hill,Crescent beach
Gear: Naish Raven
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish raven 16m LE inflation problem

Postby Tonyfo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi, I have just joined this forum and have not been kiesurfing for very long. I purchased a second hand Naish Raven 16m and it has no non return valve on the inflation valve. Does anyone have any
ideas on repairing this or getting around the problem without buying a new bladder. Also do you know the correct inflation pressure for this kite, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Tony.

MnO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Naish raven 16m LE inflation problem

Postby MnO » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:46 pm

Do you mean the inflation valve in the leading edge? There shouldn´t be any no return valve there.

Tonyfo
Rare Poster

Postby Tonyfo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:57 pm

So how do you stop the air escaping before you get the cap in place. I am losing too much pressure before getting the cap in.

doksman
Rare Poster

Postby doksman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:14 am

Exactly, there is no return valve on this kite. The only hint I can give you is to be quick. After kiting for 6 years with naish kites (aero II, X3, Raven and now torch) you get used to do this maneuver quickly. All of them had the same kind of valve, and you can easily close them after some practice without loosing pressure
Good luck

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:30 am

Pinch it.

THere are two valves, use the smaller one, pinch it and you should have no problem with lost air. If you are somewhere super cold (snow kiting) you can just put your finger on top of the valve..and it should be no problem.

:-)
A.

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:40 am

Hi Tony. Welcome to the sport!

I have Naish kites and like others said it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of not losing air when you are pumping up your kite. How I have found works for me is once I have the kite at the right pressure, I step on the pump leash so the kite cannot fly away and then remove the nozzle from the valve and put my finger over the valve hole first. Then with the hand I removed the pump nozzle with, I grab the valve plug and remove my finger from the valve hole and put the plug in.

As far as the right pressure to pump the kite up, I don't use a pump with a pressure gauge on it because they can be inaccurate. I pump my leading edge up enough so it make a high pitched noise when I flick it with my fingernail. Get one of the more experienced kiters at your spot to check it for you.

BTW, you mentioned you had just started - were you able get some lessons? Depending on how much you weigh a 16m kite is a fairly large kite to start with. What speed are the winds at your spot?

Tonyfo
Rare Poster

Postby Tonyfo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks for the advice, now I know its not a fault with the kite, I'll have to practice a faster insertion.!
Does anyone know the answer to the second part, what is the inflation pressure recomended for
the 16m 2005 raven. I got it up to 4psi and the LE was rock hard but you could still bend the struts quite easily.

Tonyfo
Rare Poster

Postby Tonyfo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks mobettah , I did a weeks course in Greece 5 years ago and did pretty well, but I only
bought this kite last year to use in light winds as I have been windsurfing for 20 years and usually
do that in the stronger winds. However, once I get used to it I will get a full quiver and go the whole hog. I am just using the kite on a frozen lake at the moment in light winds and its great. I love the fifth line arrangement, I learn't on 4 lines so the extra safety on this kite is confidence inspiring.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:14 pm

6psi should be ok for the 16m - or pump it until the leading edge feels "drum" tight - just dont pop it!

Tonyfo
Rare Poster

Postby Tonyfo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:57 am

TheRussian wrote:6psi should be ok for the 16m - or pump it until the leading edge feels "drum" tight - just dont pop it!

Thanks for your reply

Tony

Return to “Kitesurfing”