Baja Latina (Italy)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone Light - Takoon Furia
Brand Affiliation: None

Takoon Furia or RRD Obsession???? Help needed

Postby vickite » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:35 am

Hello,
I need help with my equipment choice for 2009... :?: :?: :?:

Right now I own Furias 7 11 and 13 (2008) and I'm pleased with their quality...also the unhooked riding is very nice and the looping is superb!!!! and they absolutely never stall even if you do a wrong jump with loose lines......The only think I don't like is that with low Aspect the these kites need a lot of wind to boost you up and the hangtime is not very good...
So I was thinking to switch to OBS for 2009...maybe 9 and 12 (I weigh 75 kg and use a 130 X 40 board)....anyone has some comments on these kites??? I have had RRD Hyper Type 07 and I did not like it at all...the quality was poor and I trashed it...also it would stall a lot and fall it from the sky without forgiving any wrong maneuver...but they said everything has been improved on the OBS... :D :D :D

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Takoon Furia or RRD Obsession???? Help needed

Postby Dr_Rosen » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:45 pm

I own the Obsession in 9+12m. I have tried the Furia 1 time.
I also owned HT2. I never tried HT1.

Furia as I remember was very fast turning, but not much grunt in it though, and as I remember not that much hangtime. For a nice kite for sure.

The problems you had with HT1 is well known. HT2 had a new designer (Simone moved to Royal) and had not the same sability problems. Never had any problems with the quality.
Obsession: Tons of grunt/power. Fast turning. Very good jumps and hangtime - good pull in kiteloops. No issues with stability whatsoever also not when lines are loose. I have only nice things to say about the Obsession.

I read in the marketing material that Furia2 should have some more grunt, but really can't comment on it. Please also bear in mind that my Furia experience is limited to 15-20 minutes.
Still, you won't go wrong with the Obsession I am sure....... :bye:

Rezinga
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Rezinga » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Try the furia 2 and you will get what you need :thumb: :thumb:

vickite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Poole Harbour / Hill Head
Baja Latina (Italy)

Postby vickite » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Sorry Rezinga...but your suggestion won't be enough...I want to know a little more technical stuff.... :?:

Dr.Rosen....you probably remember Furia well enough...definitely not much grunt...but very fast turning, which could be good for wave but not for free style which I'm looking for....the good part about furia is the forgiving though...as I said before, whatever you screw, it will forgive you....I have never seen it stall or fall back unhooked, even when lines come totally loose...it goes down gets air and goes back up with absolutely NO STALL at all....also wonderful unhooked (very light), KL easy!!!! but on the other side you need really good wind to jump high and for not long.....
so question is...am I going to like the OBS???? I know you cannot have everything in a kite but a good compromise aiming at freestyle would work for me.... :D :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi Vickite !

I can not fully follow your questions ?

Are you asking about the Furia2 and the Obsession, or only the latter ?

I mean, those who has (and like) the RRD will of course say this should be your choice, and those who has the Furia2 (and like it) will advise to choose this one...

Personally I love the Furia (now 2) for freestyle, but I have Enova2 myself, which is a better wavekite IMO.
For freestyle you need a kite that turns fast and explosive, so it can be redirected everywhere.
Also - power is important, and with the changed profile and narrow tips giving Furia2 more lift and less drag (=hangtime), you also get more power in kiteloops and turns :thumb:
For waveriding you need a kite that is really stable and have huge depowerrange and will travel forward to the edge when riding DTL, and turningwise it just has to be ok, not lightning fast as in freestyle (is my preferences).
I havent tried the Furia2 sufficient to tell how it behaves when going DTL, so time will tell if it is a new wavekite also 8)

But I dont know if you are asking about the Furia2 or ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

PS: Can not comment on the RRD as these kites are not used/seen around here :-?

vickite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Poole Harbour / Hill Head
Baja Latina (Italy)

Postby vickite » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Peter...

thanks for your reply....
I just wanted to know the main differences between furia and obsession....from somebody that has tried them both.....the impression I had is that Furia is a little too fast for free style and does not have a lot of grunt and hangtime....
I have never tried the OBS but I read a lot about it and it may fit my needs....
so the comparison was furia1 vs Obsession... :D :D

Basically stay with Furia1 or change to OBS....
Last edited by vickite on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

INOKI
Frequent Poster

Postby INOKI » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:33 am

hello vichkite, i have tryed furia 13m 08 and Obsession 12m .....

If you want to do wake style Obs is better, more grunt, less speed, loops good, light bar the same.
For hooked-in has an awesome hang time, never back stalls, also in wrong manouver.

the 12m is good (me 92kg.) from 11 knots to 25.
the 9m is good from 16 knots to 30.

If you use a 20m lines bar you can get over 5 knots in high range, and more reactivity in wave use.

:D :thumb:

mrlaroo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: A-Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: RRD,Best, Nobile

Postby mrlaroo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 am

INOKI- what size bopard were you riding with the OBS 12m. You say lowend 11kts, is that staying comfortably up wind? Thanks

zeppelin
Medium Poster

Postby zeppelin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:14 pm

If you are more in to wakestyle then Obsession will be better for you- more grunt, very stable and not too fast. Furia is a bit faster, but less powerful. Lowend is much better on Obsession, cannot comment on hi-end.

INOKI
Frequent Poster

Postby INOKI » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 pm

mrlaroo wrote:INOKI- what size board were you riding with the OBS 12m. You say lowend 11kts, is that staying comfortably up wind? Thanks

The Board used is a GROOVE 134-39, http://www.groovekiteboards.it/
and staying up wind, but moving often the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”