Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Havoc 08 8m vs Hifi 08 9m?

forum for kitesurfers

oshaugho
Medium Poster

Havoc 08 8m vs Hifi 08 9m?

Postby oshaugho » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 am

Hey folks,
Need an answer asap on this one. Looking at getting one of there kites as my higher wind kite.
I weigh 100kgs and 1.92m. What would a realistic windrange be for both? Low and high end?
I'm an intermediate into boosting and stating to land some wakestlye backloops and raileys. No kiteloops yet though soon :D ! Which would more suit my style of riding?
Also have flown both but in marginal winds. Have they got similar depower? Barpressure?

Also I'm looking at a new 12m. For people who have tried both which is better in your opinion: LF Havoc 12 09 or RRD Obsession 12? Which would have better range, lightish bar pressure, faster turning, better jumping ect?

hobie1463
Rare Poster

Re: Havoc 08 8m vs Hifi 08 9m?

Postby hobie1463 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:01 am

B4 you get to excited you should try the 09 Blade trigger for your style of riding.

They are just as good and the best thing they are cheaper.

lapulapu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lapulapu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 am

I rode the 08 hifi 9m as my everyday kite in here in SF in the summer when it blows 18-25mph but I weight about 160 lbs. I've also flown the 08 havoc. As far as windrange, both are about the same. It boils down to what type of riding you want to do. If you like to ride C kites and do like kiteloops then HiFi is your kite, it's faster too. But from your skill level, I would recommend the havoc as it's more stable kite and great for learning new tricks and less bar pressure and you can get the 08 cheap these days.

-clint

whiskas
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 am

I had a quiver of 8 and 12 Havocs last year and loved the kite. I can´t really compare to the HIfi as I didn´t ride it but I would say that if focus is on kiteloops, go for the Hifi, otherwise the Havocs. The Havoc is great for wakestyle but also for waves with the generous depower. On the other hand unhooked loops can become quite aggresive with the havoc and at least I always landed after a loop with the kite really low, giving extremely tough landnings.

edosan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Puclaro (Chile)
Favorite Beaches: Puclaro (Chile), Paracuru (Brazil)
Style: No Style, I Suck! :D
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby edosan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Go for the HAVOC, is more all style kite (and MOE use that one), the 2008 Kite has a nice review in general...the 2009 rocks!. The hifi is more wakestyle oriented.

Also I like more the Havoc 2008 graphics! :baby: :D

Tony W
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Los Alamos, Malaga
Los Monteros, Marbella
Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with good wind and good waves

Postby Tony W » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:05 pm

i had the 08 havoc 8m last year and am now on the 09. great kite, and after using them it's hard to move onto another model. my friend uses the 9m hifi, also upgraded to 09 recently. we're both used to our own kites and love their styles, and although we try each others kit out of interest neither of us would change. it's all down to personal taste.
we're both kite instructors in malaga (kiteboardacademy.com) and both weigh about 70kg. we both ride twintips and surfboards.
the hifi has more bar pressure, and my friend on the hifi seems to get overpowered sooner in big wind but that could be down to our riding styles. when it's really blowing he has to get out of the water while i stay in. but i have to admit the turn on the hifi is smoother, and for kiteloops is far superior.
the havoc is a quick kite with plenty of depower, i love it for surfing as well as boosting or wakestyle.
my advice would be to try both and see which feels immediately most comfortable for your style and go with that.

LFjulie
Medium Poster

Postby LFjulie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:49 am

Hi,
8m havoc: you will need about 25 knots and will be able to hold to about 40
9m hifi: you will need more than the 8m havoc, probably high 20s, and will be able to hold it in the 40s and even in a little more probably... but then that's really windy!

My question is: what other kites do you have in your quiver?

The HIFI is the ultimate wakestyle kite: it is made for unhooking, and low powered move. The kite will also loop well. If you are looking into working on wakestyle moves, go for this kite. The bar pressure is going to be heavier than on the Havoc, but it's still very manageable. I am pretty sensitive to the bar pressure, and it works for me.
The HAVOC is also a really good kite, and it is more versatile, and stable. Your wind range will be bigger, and its low end is better than the hifi. The depower on the Havoc will be better than on the HIFI. But it's less technical when it comes to unhooked tricks.

Cheers
Julie

oshaugho
Medium Poster

Postby oshaugho » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 pm

thanks for the answers guy. Have gone for a 12m 09 havoc but still undecided about the smaller kite.
Two options now are an 09 8m eclipse thruster or a 08 8m havoc. What would be a realistic range on these kites for a 190lbs on 136x40 tt. which has better low end and what would be a managable high end? I have flown a ozone 7m sport in 35 gusting over 40kts and felt very comfortable. Would either of these have anywhere near that top end?

oshaugho
Medium Poster

Postby oshaugho » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 pm

anyone tried these kites?
Neeed answers!!!!!

LFjulie
Medium Poster

Postby LFjulie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:43 pm

You will be able to hold your 8m Havoc in a lot of wind; probably in winds up to 35-40 knots. Since you have a 12m Havoc, I would recommend going with the 8m Havoc, because since they are the same brand, you will feel comfortable going from one kite to another. You will not have to adjust your style of riding each time you change kites.
Good luck picking your kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”