Best 2009 Bar

forum for kitesurfers

Hordo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Best 2009 Bar

Postby Hordo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:58 am

For those who kite on Best Kites (me) what are you doing about the 2009 bar. Seems from all reports to have some significant issues with the new safety release. Are you replacing the release with an alternative or simply buying an alternative bar??

I was about to upgrade to the 2009 HP, not sure what to do now. Maybe best sticking with the 2007 bar?

Noabacca
Frequent Poster

Re: Best 2009 Bar

Postby Noabacca » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 pm

I just saw this bar in person last weekend, and it appears to be the best BEST bar set-up yet.

All the past issues have been corrected, in my eyes.

So, what are the "significant issues" from "all the reports"?

Maybe you could be more specific, 1st time poster, Hordo.

Please don't tell me, it's because you can't 'punch out' with the bar pulled
all the way down to the top of the c-loop. When does that ever happen?

If it's a question of getting more depower to kill the kite, I hear the
Kahoona Red-Line Bar accomplishes that with the mini-5th-line leash.

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Hordo wrote:For those who kite on Best Kites (me) what are you doing about the 2009 bar. Seems from all reports to have some significant issues with the new safety release. Are you replacing the release with an alternative or simply buying an alternative bar??

I was about to upgrade to the 2009 HP, not sure what to do now. Maybe best sticking with the 2007 bar?

First time poster bashing one of the best bars out right now?? :nono:

What reports are you referring to? :o

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:46 pm

IMO the new 2009 BEST bar is very nice and the QR system is pretty slick. I have been using various generations of BEST bars for years and love them for simplicity, quality, function, easy to repair, etc.

In all fairness/and in an effort to respond to the concern about the "problem" with the 2009 QR...it is physically possible for the bar to be locked into fully sheeted position if the stopper ball is pulled down all the way - and this could possibly interfere with the QR release. It is important for people to understand this, especially beginners who might inadvertently pull the stopper ball down when fiddling with front lines in the water or on the beach. Murpheys Law always applies and it can happen, but the likelihood is slim if you understand the equipment.

If you want to eliminate the possibility of this ever happening simply remove the stopper ball (it takes about 1 minute), I like riding with my stopper ball, so I have learned how to use it properly, and teach this to my students as well.

Every bar system has it's idiosyncracies - the important thing is to be familiar with them - another experienced rider using the same gear is a good source.

Bottom line: The 2009 Waroo bar is safe and functional...an excellent bar in fact.

Hordo
Rare Poster

Postby Hordo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:14 am

I figured that some of the disciples would jump on this.

For the record the only kites I own are Best kites and Best Bars, over the past few years i've bought both new and 2nd hand Best kites. I'm very happy with the kites (07 Waroos and 08 HP's) and the 2007 bar. My only beef in the past has been the difficulties getting replacement bridles.

Now I'm in the market for the 2009 HP's. The following threads bother me.

topic: 2009 Bar Quick Release problems and more
http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=8663

topic: Nem HP 2009 Bar problems and high risk
http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=8661

I've had a look at the 2009 Best Bar at a retailor and the plastic quick release looked dodgy to me. My view, go bag me but seems its bothering other people as well. All I'm after is an honest view point as to what is the safe way forward when buying a 2009 HP and needing a new bar!!

I was after some independent advice, figure that may be hard to get.

AlexMandiola
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: crandon park keybiscayne
Favorite Beaches: crandon
Style: New school
Gear: north,best.

Postby AlexMandiola » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:32 am

i love this bar the grip is perfect and keeps your hands from getting nasty blisters. when unhooking the chicken loop automaticly locked in place ready for you to rehook with ease.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 am

Hordo wrote:I figured that some of the disciples would jump on this.

I was after some independent advice, figure that may be hard to get.

????

I am about as independent as it comes...I do handle BEST products amongst a few other good quality items that have a proven track record and superior customer service. Just trying to offer an honest and constructive opinion here...I have no reason to do differently. My BEST gear gets used A LOT by my students and myself...and it has all held up remarkably well.

The chafing problem on the 2008 bar was apparently caused by a misaligned/improperly glued ferule and only effected a small percentage of bars. I imagine BEST provided excellent support for those with this problem. The 2009 bar is made differently and should not have the same issues.

...you wrote "Seems from all reports to have some significant issues with the new safety release"... but I have not seen many posts concerning this issue and I keep a look out, believe me. However it is good to create awareness to these kind of concerns, even if there aare only a few rare situations.

As someone else mentioned it is important to keep any bar clean and sand free, although it is inevitable to get some sand and salt deposits to accumulate from time to time. Especially if not rinsed after each session.

The 2009 BEST QR mechanism is so easy to "test" and re-engage before each launch that this might be the general recommendation. (I am not using the 2009 Waroo bar yet, but have inspected/tested a friends bar). If you are more comfortable with the 2007 or 2008 QR system you can easily change to that as another option.

I am sure that BEST will address these issues accordingly as they continue to make things better all the time. Accurate feedback from the field is a valued resource for all manufacturers.

Hope you get it sorted so that you are confident about your gear and personal safety.

cheers

Noabacca
Frequent Poster

Postby Noabacca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:00 am

Well, Hordo

As I mentioned, I just saw the bar for the first time last weekend.
I inspected it, and liked the look and feel a lot more than the previous year
models. So much so that I ordered one this week.

Now that I believe your questions have been more properly posed....

Q: Are riders finding the chicken-loop quick release becoming jammed
(with sand), on the 09 BEST bars?

Q: Is the 2009 bar safe and even worth getting? (my interpretation)

Those seem like fair questions, hopefully you hear more "independent" views from people
now using this bar. When I get mine, I let you know how it works out.

:bye:

Hordo
Rare Poster

Postby Hordo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks Noabacca, think you've managed to knock this little issue into shape!

Q: Are riders finding the chicken-loop quick release becoming jammed
(with sand), on the 09 BEST bars?

Q: Is the 2009 bar safe and even worth getting? (my interpretation)

switch313
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 am

only best riders would worry about this, do you even know how much depower kites have these days? stop worrying ............

Return to “Kitesurfing”