Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

5th line on a waroo?

forum for kitesurfers

IHateKooks
Rare Poster

5th line on a waroo?

Postby IHateKooks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Has anybody run a 5th line on a waroo (or other bow kite)? I have ridden North C (vegas) kites for forever, and only have experience with 5th line bars (and only own 5th line bars). I picked up a large waroo, and would like to run a 5th line on it. Has anybody done this? Input or suggestions?

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 5th line on a waroo?

Postby kitezilla » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:38 pm

reiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Xcalacoco, Xpu-Ha
Favorite Beaches: Holbox, Progreso, Puerto Morelos, Isla Blanca
Gear: 12m waroo, litewave board
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Playa Del Carmen, México, 20°39'38.59"N, 87° 2'5.19"O

Postby reiley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:55 pm

:rollgrin: and why would you want to do that, the waroo is a 4 line kite, and relaunches so easy, 5th line sucks, its only more mess to deal with, i had a rhino 2007 with 5th line and if the kites rolls over or invert in the water your fucked, now with my waroo i can relaunch it whenever, keep it like that :thumb:

bscall
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Great South Bay
Style: freestyle
Gear: 2009 BEST HP Nemisis 8/10/14

Postby bscall » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:09 pm

I would have to suggest not trying to run a fifth line. The kite has not ben designed to fly with that system. If you are looking for a bar that has great saftey I would recommend the Redline Bar from BEST. It has all the saftey you could need but in a 4 line system.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/09-Redline-Bar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

I assume it is because he wants to use his 5th line bar, so he dont have to "remove the 5th" just for this one kite :D

And he can also use the 5th as an added safety, it a frontline breaks :thumb:

(The kite will fly just the same, as long as the 5th is loose.)

But apart from that, true - it is only more line drag, more rolling lines out hassle, etc etc. - disadvantages :roll:

Kindly, Peter Frank

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:19 pm

What size Waroo is it and what year?

I have seen a few 07 Waroo's fold, so maybe if your willing to fly it with a 5th line then maybe it might help it keep its shape!

IHateKooks
Rare Poster

Postby IHateKooks » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:08 am

It's a 20m 07 waroo. I want to use it in light winds during the summer. I used to have a Rhino 20m that would relaunch in barely any wind with the 5th line, but the waroo doesn't want to turn on it's side in that little of wind. Also, yes, I didn't want to have to get a 4 line bar, but from judging what you guys are saying, I'd probably be better off getting one. Thanks for the insight.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 pm

IHateKooks wrote:It's a 20m 07 waroo. I want to use it in light winds during the summer. I used to have a Rhino 20m that would relaunch in barely any wind with the 5th line, but the waroo doesn't want to turn on it's side in that little of wind. Also, yes, I didn't want to have to get a 4 line bar, but from judging what you guys are saying, I'd probably be better off getting one. Thanks for the insight.

Hmmm, actually you got a good point there :thumb:

In very light wind, a 5th line can be good to get a kite this size rolled on its back...
And then just hope you can get it off the water - but if you could with your 20m2 Rhino, you can with your waroo too :D

I never fly a kite bigger than 11m2 even in the most light wind nowadays, meaning below 10knots - but I am 74kg.
Thats why I didnt think about it - as a "large" waroo to me is a 13m2 8)

So you could gain by modifiyng it to a 5 lined kite :D

Just one thing - could you relaunch the 20m2 Rhino when you were in deep water ?
Because, if we talk low water, you can easily walk towards the waroo and get it on its back, with the standard 4 lines - no 5th needed for this :thumb:
But when swimming in deep water, with a 20m2 - it is not really possible with 4 lines, true.

:- ) Peter

Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Online shop

Postby posty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:29 am

Yes i've used a Waroo with a 5th line. This is no problem.
Like you said it can be very useful to relaunch in no wind.
There could be a problem if the lines have an y in the middle though.
Mine ran straight trough from the bar.
But you have to find out for yourself if it affects the kite flying.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:47 am

After 3 years of using first an '06 20M Waroo and then an '07 20M Waroo, always with a 5th line, i have to agree with Peter, when he says that the 5th line will be very handy in helping you to position the kite partially on its back.

I recommend adding a very thick leader line, which should run from the power line adjuster to the actual 5th line. You will need about 15 feet of this thick leader line, for safety and for ease of grip, for maneuvering the kite; first, when you pull in on the 5th line, in order to trip the kite, part-way onto its back; and second, when you haul in on the 5th line, in order to hot launch the kite, from the direct down-wind position (where the kite is sitting on its trailing edge).

In very light wind, you will not be able to get a wet kite to leave the water, at the edge of the window, but with the help of a 5th line, you will be able to get the kite to motor on over to the edge of window, where you can make it fall over backwards, onto its trailing edge; and then let it drift back into the direct down-wind position, where, by hauling in 10 or fifteen feet of the 5th line, you can get the kite to hot launch. To become skillful at this maneuver, you must practice playing the different kite strings, like a puppeteer. Having a good length of leader line on all the strings will be much nicer and safer on your fingers, since a big old 20m kite exerts a lot of force, even when it is down in the water and drifting in low wind.

During the maneuvering, try to avoid allowing the kite to fall completely onto its back, or it will really stick to the water, and will then be very challenging to get it to hot launch. Also, get as much water to run off the kite, as you can, before pumping on the 5th line, in your effort to hot launch it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”