What happened to the wind last year...

forum for kitesurfers

uk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Brand Affiliation: None

What happened to the wind last year...

Postby uk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 am

Maybe I'm that guy- we've all had it happen, you're having that perfect session at your local spot and someone shows up that kills the wind. Maybe it's even been you a couple of times. I'm guilty, and for some reason more than normal in the past year....

I used to be stoked every time I got out there, it seemed like the wind was allways perfect those first few summers. Then something changed, the crew at the local spots started to split. People talking behind other's backs, having private sessions to keep the 'kooks' away, no longer using the forum that united us off the water. Things happen- personalities conflict- but more than this change, I began to notice the wind behaving in a similar way. Call it crazy, I don't know much about metaphysics, but it was as though every session became one of those..."what the hell happened to the wind" days. Sure we still caught some great days together durring the year, but as the community died, the wind turned it's back on us.

I've been a victim of it as much as others in the last year- heading out all day chasing the wind, only to have it die as soon as you get to a new spot. This is nothing new for any kiter, but when the odds started to change dirrection I started to wonder. I saw this happen to all those around me, and I don't doubt, that everyone can feel it too. Where has our heart gone? Let's re-unite the local spots, forget our selfish sessions and keep this thing going.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: What happened to the wind last year...

Postby Pike » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 pm

hey UK

in part I agree..
in our local spot we are all still happy with eachother and have a great & active local forum

however the wind is another matter :o

what the bloody hell is going on? SW used to be our consistant wind (and best wind for our beach), especially in the winter..well not any more
we've had wind from all points of the compass and worse still, majority seems to have been from the east?

somethings goin' ooon... :-?

sw67
Medium Poster

Postby sw67 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm

In the west coast of Scotland the wind was rubbish last year. It was light or easterly and i think i managed 2 sessions during July,Aug and Sept.

It should be blowing hard from the Southwest but ive only had 4 sessions this year on 12 and 14m kites.

I only work 3 days per week so have lots of time to kite but this lack of wind is starting to get to me - i have even considered buying a buggy again :o

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:16 pm

uk wrote:Maybe I'm that guy- we've all had it happen, you're having that perfect session at your local spot and someone shows up that kills the wind. Maybe it's even been you a couple of times. I'm guilty, and for some reason more than normal in the past year....

I used to be stoked every time I got out there, it seemed like the wind was allways perfect those first few summers. Then something changed, the crew at the local spots started to split. People talking behind other's backs, having private sessions to keep the 'kooks' away, no longer using the forum that united us off the water. Things happen- personalities conflict- but more than this change, I began to notice the wind behaving in a similar way. Call it crazy, I don't know much about metaphysics, but it was as though every session became one of those..."what the hell happened to the wind" days. Sure we still caught some great days together durring the year, but as the community died, the wind turned it's back on us.

I've been a victim of it as much as others in the last year- heading out all day chasing the wind, only to have it die as soon as you get to a new spot. This is nothing new for any kiter, but when the odds started to change dirrection I started to wonder. I saw this happen to all those around me, and I don't doubt, that everyone can feel it too. Where has our heart gone? Let's re-unite the local spots, forget our selfish sessions and keep this thing going.

Where in the world are you located ? This post is quite "anonymous" as I see it...

Here in Denmark we had lots of wind almost all 2008, if it is the wind you are asking for ?

If it is the "community", then you are right - it has also been split up more and more here, because there are beginners, and there are freestyle which has divided into those going for really flat and low water (same spots as beginners), and those wanting a bit deeper thus also going out in waveconditions using the flats between waves or inside of the sand reefs, and then we have waveriding.

So often we see people split up between beginner spots and small wave spots more and more (and of course "normal" or big wave spots, but thats not new)

Kindly, Peter Frank

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Unsure, but one reason could be that in the start/early days, most people beginning kiting was more "equal" in personality. Now there is quite a few new people coming into the sport from different directions, and the more advanced, older kiters prefers to kite together as they now share not only the passion for kiting, but also has become friends. Also people divide into which type of kiting they prefer.

Regarding the wind, never underestimate the power in many people asking/sharing information about weather conditions or if someone is going kiting. After kiting for three years I realize that for each year passing, for the days the forecast aint perfect, but it may be windy, I need some more extra "push" from other people in the club to take the 1-2 hour drive to the mountains during winter.

Our kiteclub has doubled in size the last two years (from 70 to 140 people). But we are primarily a core of maybe 15 kiters, and a very small core of a few kiters always at the beach when it is windy :)

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: cubakitelessons.com

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Kitesurfing is a really young sport if you guys can't figure this out. Last year we had La Nina which follows El Nino which we had two years ago. La Nina has an opposite effect to El Nino. The Pacific Ocean along ecuador gets unusually cool thus cooler temps and more rain in some places and others stay dry sparking forest fires and so on. What matters to us that it disturbs usual weather patters and fronts. Ask your local windsurfing guys they remember we get those things every seven years or so.

uk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby uk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for the sharing you insights. I was posting in reference to the great lakes region, and perhaps to the % of poor rides in the past year. The number of windy days, predominantly our solid summer S/SW days seemed to be less, but the quality of the sessions seemed much worse.

Many times the forecast would be solid, but would die out after long drives to the lake and just upon arrival, making it that much more frustrating. Perhaps it was only our desperation for a solid session that made it appear this way, but I can tell you that it sucked! I suppose it's the nature of the game in our region, chasing wind that is brought upon by varying storm fronts. Just wanted some input from others if they noticed a similarity to this compared with previous years, or if it was just an effect of the lower morality of the group... thanks all

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: All kinds.

Postby POACHER » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey UK,

I'm a Great Lakes rider as well. (Superior)
I thought we had good wind last year. In fact, my co-worker was just bitching about how windy it was here. (he's old, and not a kiter.........more of a pontoon boater :rollgrin: .) I just chuckled and said "I didn't mind."

Now I got in 20 good riding sessions last year. That was double from the year before, but that's partially due to the fact that I bailed on work as soon as it ever blew anything over 12 mph. I'm guessing some here get 20 sessions in before June. I just enjoy every chance I have to get out. Even if the wind shits, it's nice to just be at our spot and swim or drink a beer.

This winter has been a buzzkill for snow kiting. The lack of snow on the ice and shitty wind, that I'd entirely agree with.

I can't wait for spring, I'm dying to ride right now.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:13 pm

What is "the great lakes region" ? :o

I still havent got a clue where in the world we are....

Only "close related" would be Finland which is called "the land of the thousand lakes" - but I assume it is not, based on your language 8)

Kindly, Peter Frank

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 am

Great Lakes are in North US, South Canada.

Foto attached, I've never kited there, but I'm a Geographer, so here is an image.

For me, the wind was "normal", the Caribe had a large # of hurricanes which of course changed wind patterns, but in average it's normal.
Attachments
greatlakesmap.gif
greatlakesmap.gif (17.19 KiB) Viewed 694 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”