Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any tips on jesus walk / low glide hand/drag maneuvers

forum for kitesurfers

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide
Brand Affiliation: None

Any tips on jesus walk / low glide hand/drag maneuvers

Postby GhostDog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:34 pm

I have been working on the 'low gliding, hand-drag' transition. I can nail it if I do a quick one. I cut upwind like I'm going to do a back roll transition but just kind of hang there for a second, glide along, put my hand in the water as the kite comes across the window (which flips you around) and ride out.

Where I'm having trouble is getting a longer glide, like you would need for a 6 step jesus walk or just a long floaty back glide. My issue is that I'm sending the kite (very slowly) to get the pop but in that it is my back hand on the bar, even if I put it around the center line I still get too much back hand pull to keep the kite at 12 oclock.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on achieving better glide for this move..

Ilovekitesurfing
Medium Poster

Re: Any tips on jesus walk / low glide hand/drag maneuvers

Postby Ilovekitesurfing » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi
For a full explanation on how to do the jesus walk have a look at www.jeremietronet.com in the tricks section.

Here is a video:

Good luck :)

ORCustomerService
Medium Poster

Postby ORCustomerService » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Hey Ghost Dog...

Just so happens that it is the first trick on our new "Trick Page" that we are doing monthly.

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/

Good luck my man.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:23 pm

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:21 am

ask and you shall receive.. I think what I am doing is starting to slowly send the kite right as I pop rather than right after I pop, I love work on these subtle timings

thnks everyone

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 am

timing is a bitch for this one...not easy.

I always do it with a kiteloop...much easier. Make sure to pull the bar in once you popped off the water and while doing it slowly fly the kite over the zenith. Once you want to go back into the straps pull the kite so it loops. Keep holding until you are back in and the kite fully loops.

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:01 am

for the backroll hand-dragger you must hit it on a full speed reach...in other words, get some speed and go downwind.the downwind angle and the speed is the key to a long drag..do it fully powered and loop it...otherwise it won't be legit! have fun...check out kite beach kookout 4 on this site and see Shawn Richman throwing this move better than anyone can do it.....I'll be releasing a video named "Hand-dragger" during the next couple :thumb: of months.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:43 am

STORMBIRD wrote:..check out kite beach kookout 4 on this site and see Shawn Richman throwing this move better than anyone can do it.....

Oh yeah??? As good as "The Hurdman"?

JerseyPride
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer

Postby JerseyPride » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 pm

STORMBIRD wrote:for the backroll hand-dragger you must hit it on a full speed reach...in other words, get some speed and go downwind.the downwind angle and the speed is the key to a long drag..

Do you do it on a reach or a broad reach? reach means perpendicular to the wind, and broad reach means about 45 degrees lower than a reach.

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 pm

STORMBIRD wrote:for the backroll hand-dragger you must hit it on a full speed reach...in other words, get some speed and go downwind.the downwind angle and the speed is the key to a long drag..do it fully powered and loop it...otherwise it won't be legit! have fun...check out kite beach kookout 4 on this site and see Shawn Richman throwing this move better than anyone can do it.....I'll be releasing a video named "Hand-dragger" during the next couple :thumb: of months.

You are not kidding about Shawn Richman, that is the best I have seen anyone throw that move. It has inspired me to really loop the kite at the end and I hit a couple of really nice ones today. I still don't get the long glide though. When you say full speed reach, not sure I completely understand. I have been hitting it full speed going perpendicular or perhaps slightly upwind, carve upwind like I'm going to do a shallow backroll at the same time kind of let up and then pull in on the kite and pick my legs up... Do you mean to get up to full speed and then let up downwind a bit before popping and gliding?

Return to “Kitesurfing”