Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What Bag?

forum for kitesurfers

emmandkev
Medium Poster

What Bag?

Postby emmandkev » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 am

I'm in the market for a new kit bag. Unfortunately I live somewhere where I cannot just pop down the road to my friendly kite shop and see for myself and despite the power of Google I've been unable to find any decent user reviews to point me on my way.

My current bag has served me well for nigh on 4 years, but it's now on its last legs, primarily because the zips have corroded, a problem which I am keen to avoid with my next purchase.

As I'm also planning on travelling I'd like a bag that will get me through the hassles of airline check-in with the minimum fuss. I've been taking a keen look at the 'golf bags' but so far none of them have jumped out at me saying "buy me".

There are plenty of kite and board reviews out there, so lets have your opinions on the bags we use to transport them.

Later!

Tom Tom
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What Bag?

Postby Tom Tom » Wed May 13, 2009 8:06 am

I did some thorough research when buying my last bag. I have not found anything better than the Ozone boardbag. I use the 125 size and squeeze my 130 Nobile into it. It swallows three kites and the rest of my equipment. Check out the video link http://www.flyozone.com/downloads/vids/boardbagMQ.wmv

http://www.flyozone.com/kitesurf/en/products/accessories/boardbag/

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Wed May 13, 2009 8:29 am

If you fly weight is your number one priority. Every gram the bag weighs is one less gram of kite gear you can take on the plane. With many airlines with 15 kg or 20 kg weight limits and looking to generate extra revenue from excess baggage this is a real issue. Those bags with plush padding and all sorts of features weigh more then a kite. The bottom line is you can run over a kiteboard with a truck and it's fine. You can stack the entire planes luggage on top of your kite and it's fine. Kitegear, unlike surfboards, is not fragile. So probably the less you pay for your bag, the less features it will have and the more gear you can take with you on your vacation.

superpedro
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo beach
Style: Crappy
Gear: Wainman kites
North select
Slingshot celeritas

Postby superpedro » Wed May 13, 2009 8:53 am

I have the naish golf bag 140cm .... i can put 2 kites, a 555 board 132, crazyfly skimboard, harness and bars. and all that is around 20kg ( the maximum weight allow in airlines is 23kg )... really good bag with mesh to separete kites from boards useful pockets on the outside.... and it really looks like a golf bag!.... i really recomend it...

pedro

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 13, 2009 11:20 am

I have the NSI and the Naish one, can fit 2 boards and 3 kites in both...but it is pretty tight then....anyhow, like mentioned above the naish bag has a lot of different pockets so you don't have to have everything in the same space. The NSI is one big pocket, solid bag, both bags have paid their way for me :-) The naish one also has an extender opening, I can fit a 5' board in it.

either one is good, but lately I've been using the naish bag since I can put a knife and some other tools separate from the kites. I think the naish bag actually is lighter than the NSI..without having measured.

anyhow,

emmandkev
Medium Poster

Postby emmandkev » Wed May 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks for the opinions shared so far - I have to say that I like the look of the Naish bag, but as all I have to go on are images posted on web sites your feedback is mucho appreciated.

Interesting point about the weight of the bag detracting from the amount of kit you can take - I wonder if anyone knows what is the lightest kit bag out there?

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 am

You may also want to consider the Liquid Force golf bag.

The plaid looks really nice too.

Cheers,

Jaime

backcountry
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Hood River, Lower Granite Dam, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Caberette, Dominican Republic
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 am

I use the Mystic golf bag. I can put in a 134 spleene rip 9,12,14m kites, one bar and harness. The weight of all that is about 48lbs-still under the 50lbs max. It appears to be pretty durable, considering how baggage handlers treat oversize checked items. Not a bad price also...

Naby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: Learning
Gear: 10m EH / Freak Dog Vicious, 140x40Freak Dog Tracker

Postby Naby » Thu May 14, 2009 4:28 am

backcountry wrote:I use the Mystic golf bag. I can put in a 134 spleene rip 9,12,14m kites, one bar and harness. The weight of all that is about 48lbs-still under the 50lbs max. It appears to be pretty durable, considering how baggage handlers treat oversize checked items. Not a bad price also...

I was looking at that one as well. It looks nice on the pictures. Do you have the 140cm model? Can you measure if a 140x40 board would fit in it, or do I have to go with the 150cm?

vp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Gear: Ozone Reo 10, 12
Best TS 8, 10
Slingshot Celeritas 5'8 Woodie
Crazy Fly Raptor Pro 137
Ocean Rodeo Soul Drysuit
Neil Pryde Eclipse 5/4/3 Wetsuit
Mystic Majestic harness
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Thu May 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Naby wrote:
backcountry wrote:I use the Mystic golf bag. I can put in a 134 spleene rip 9,12,14m kites, one bar and harness. The weight of all that is about 48lbs-still under the 50lbs max. It appears to be pretty durable, considering how baggage handlers treat oversize checked items. Not a bad price also...

I was looking at that one as well. It looks nice on the pictures. Do you have the 140cm model? Can you measure if a 140x40 board would fit in it, or do I have to go with the 150cm?

for 140x40, i'd suggest to go with the larger bag. We have some reviews of the Mystic bag from our customers.. you can check it out here:

http://greenhatkiteboarding.com/store/i ... cts_id=183

We carry, Best, NSI , and Mystic. Mystic has the least support , but is the lightest of the 3, it also folds very nicely and has a very golf-like look to it. It's definitely the most popular sales wise.

Return to “Kitesurfing”