Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Hagapark
Favorite Beaches: Blouberg beach big bay
Style: freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing with a wakeboard

Postby Blapsie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey everyone!

I have read about using wakeboards as kiteboards and all the things that make it more difficult etc but it as mostly because of the continuous rocker and strength of the rocker on a wakeboard. I would like to know if it would work better if i used a 3-stage rocker wakeboard, or if that would make any dif at all using it as a kiteboard?!

Thanx!

meinonghitdatbong
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Re: Kitesurfing with a wakeboard

Postby meinonghitdatbong » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:40 pm

i can imagine a 3stage would be worse. theyre slower and sit lower in the water.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Ask at k i te sc oop.com (no spaces) The continuous will work much better than a 3 stage, but dude for the most part its not that great of an idea. You have to be LIT and be really good already to make it work. Look for closeouts on LF boards as they are the most like wakeboards and really cheap.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby pbmaniac27 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:16 pm

continuous rocker is the right call for wakeboards behind the kite.

I ride and SS response and love it behind the kite.

However you have to be pretty specific in what you want if you are going to like a wakeboard behind a kite.

Expect a substantial learning curve for the boar as your going to have to learn to go upwind again and figure out how to make the board work best upwind.

However once you have figured out upwind you will get more efficient at it every time you ride it and if well powered (need alot of juice to ride a wakeboard) you will find you can get upwind almost as well as a kiteboard.

Once you got it all figured out though, the wakeboard is hands down better in all ways for wakestyle then a kiteboard. Much better pop, easier landings, greater power control, greater stability....better everything.

so if you are looking to strictly do wakestyle tricks and ride in conditions that are not particularly difficult to get upwind, go for it. Wakeboard feel like trampolines compared to kiteboards

Blapsie
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Hagapark
Favorite Beaches: Blouberg beach big bay
Style: freestyle

Postby Blapsie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanx all of you!!!
The answers helped a lot!!! I will continue with a kiteboard first untill im a bit more experienced!
Cheers!

Blapsie

Return to “Kitesurfing”