Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: EastBeach, Shobryness
Favorite Beaches: ??.... HAWAI
Style: Beginner
Gear: The very reason for joining the forum....need advice on what kit to buy
Brand Affiliation: None

Buying KiteSurfing Gear for the first time

Postby Wanty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 am

Hi Guys. Just had a two day introduction course to Kitesurfing, and now plan to invest in some equipment. Have looked on a couple of websites for package deals (good idea?)

There's one deal on Wet n Dry Sports (a store local to me) taht has the following deal
- RRD Hypertype 2 10.5m + Placebo board Package .. complete with global bar system... waying in at £899.

What's peoples advice? We had lessons on Cabrinhas, which seem to be popular. Would i be better off with a second hand gear for a beginner?

All advice appreciated. Wanty

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Buying KiteSurfing Gear for the first time

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Wanty: Second hand gear is perfect for the budget-minded type who gives a Fuc what other people 'will think of me' flying a used kite. Not only can you save a lot of money, but if you understand the logic that - at your skill level - (nothing personal..) you are not going to appreciate, or even need, the incremental refinements available in the 'Latest & Greatest'.

I don't know about prices over your way but RRD kites are great. I prefer North and some other odd brands, but the Hyper I had was excellent. I'm ambivalent about Cabby. It's a common brand, but we do not see many of them in my area. The fact that you have a dealer close by would tilt the table toward the RRD ...but used kit can be very attractive.

Have fun.

Jim

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi

Looks fine as long as your weight is around 75 kgs , that RRD will be good for 12-13 up to under 20 knots of winds .

Which size is the board ? for the above weight is better to go for a 135 x 41 +/- , smaller sizes are more difficult to learn with.

If the shop gives you a guarantee go for it ..... at the beginning you will have tons of questions and it is always better to have " your " shop around the corner .

Later on you can get your material around the web like E-bay UK or other sites.

Next time you wanna ask about material is better if you tell us your weight ...

Have fun

Saludos

Franz

paulhaslett
Rare Poster

Postby paulhaslett » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi,

I have cabs and they are great kites. I also use Wet and Dry and they are a great shop with really good aftersales service but i would consider second hand there are some great deals around on ebay and loads of people on Eastbeach who will happly help you check what you have bought. If you really want new the new cabs are coming out at the moment so should get some good deals on last years stuff.

Also check out sports corner in Greys I think they do Best and GK.

If you want any advice about the area give me a mail. Weathers looking good for tomorrow and sunday may see you there.

Paul :lol: :lol:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:50 pm

hey,

I dunno too much about the RRD kite, but look for medium to low aspect flat kites, then once you find one you like do some searches on the specific kite to see that it does not have design flaws or weirdbehviors...

note though that even if one person says something about a kite, make sure you try to judge what the context for that person is....

in any case....good luck and welcome to the addiction...

Return to “Kitesurfing”