forum for kitesurfers

chipmunk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

RRD Addiction 2009

Postby chipmunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:39 pm

RRD Addiction 2009 Have you tried it

What sizes in what conditions did you use it .
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/y14/ ... ction2009a
I cannot tell if it has pulleys on the bridle ?
:thumb:

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Re: RRD Addiction 2009

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 pm

I flew some prototypes in egypt, that was over 6 months ago now. Didn't get to do any extensive testing, as all the kites were new, and my frame of reference was blown but my impressions were
-Range, especially low end, was incredible. If anything, I'd say it may have normal high end for a bridle kite, but the low end was mind blowing. It's much more powerful than either the passion or the obsession.
-Everybody that could kite halfway decent was throwing 40 foot boosters with the thing. I don't usually get off on boosting that much, but this was a different thing.
-Did some back to back testing with roberto, we had identical boards, I had the 9 meter passion, he had 9 meter addiction. If you've ridden the passion, you know it's a powerful kite with good upwind. I was doing ok upwind against him until the wind dropped, then he smoked me. We're talking no more whitecaps kind of wind.
-Turns fine for what it is (a boosting, upwind, low end power machine), basically, a muscle car, not a lotus. Definitely faster than the Passion, but slower than the obsession. So, freeride turning, not wave turning.
-The protos had pulleys on the bridles, and the configuration looks the same on the one on the website. It has a cascading bridle system, similar to a couple of other 2009 kites that are coming out about now. It looks a little different, but I think it's meant to keep even pressure on the leading edge from multiple angles of attack. At least that's what it looks like to me.
-You can take what I say with a grain of salt if you want, as I'm a rep, but these are my honest impressions. If I thought the kite was a pig, you'd be hearing silence from my end.
-Keep in mind, the protos I flew were so early that they didn't even have graphics or anything. This kite could change a bit in the final stages, but I expect it to be better and more refined if anything.

-We are preparing our order for the US. I'll post something when I have dates for arrival.

-Jeff

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Thank's Jeff for the info

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 pm

NP.

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Just got the word, Addictions hit the docks in the US today. Should be ready to ship by friday or monday. It's a small initial batch, I'd pounce on it if you want one.

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster

Postby Live2KITE » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:21 am

Hey guys,
We just got confirmation that we will have them by tomorrow (Friday); I'll take some photos when we get them in.
In the meantime enjoy the first photos of the production kites.
For more product details check out:

Live2kite.com - RRD Addiction 09

Live2kite.com
44 Industrial Way
Greenbrae, CA 94904
info@live2kite.com

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:57 pm

TEST REVIEW
KITE MAGAZINE JANUARY 2009 - RRD ADDICTION 14

Addiction, dependence, affection – all that is possible with addiction. The Ricci- kite can actually become habit-forming for every kite boarder who doesn’t get pampered with strong wind daily. There is hardly another kite to be found who kicks of so early and so powerful like this twelve cylinder from Italy.

The Story: If somebody wants to battle the crossbow in the matters of light-wind-performance, he really has to push hard. Of all kites the Ricci Addiction, in Germany also distributed by the Cabrinha head-office Pryde, now messes with the business of the prime father of all light-wind kites. It seems like Ricci must have been fed up with the wobbling around in his Tuscan home country and finally wanted to snatch the chance for a ride whenever it fitted his schedule and not only when the wind was in the mood for it.
Programmatic for the Ricci House is here the sense of well-being on the bar: If twelve cylinder then at least with power-assisted steering please!

Bar Feeling: With a kite having such extraordinary light-wind characteristics one may get seized by a horror at the thought of the possible bar pressure. And than you pick up the Ricci- bar and start thinking: This cannot be true! For a kite of that size the holding power is surprisingly low. Nevertheless the addiction always gives you a good feeling of location – you always know his position. Furthermore the effort for a trigger impulse is quite low, considering the fact that one has to handle 14 square meters up in the sky. Regarding its size one can be extremely satisfied with the transfer of steering orders, which are average. No matter if the wind blows stronger or lighter - the rider can always count on the Addiction’s enjoyably low steering powers. Only if the conditions get too rough for the generally smooth fourteen pointer one needs to pull on the bar quite fiercely.

Range of Use – (De)Power: According to our riding experiences the Addiction sets up new standards for the light wind domain. There is hardly another kite which kicks off so early like this fourteen pointer: already at 11 knots it speeds off like a comet. Unhooked you feel like you would be holding on to a wakeboard lift. That’s how you extend your time on board x-fold. Therefore the Addiction has its main range of use in the lower wind range. As soon as the wind picks up you should consider very precisely what to do next once you’ve unhooked yourself: it pulls off mercilessly, just like the cable at the wake –site.

Airtime: During normal jumps you need to concentrate a little harder on the rim as the kite tends to pull you off the rail. That’s also the reason why the jumps’ height is not very impressive; however the hang time has gliding character. Even just before landing there is still room for a little gimmick.

Kite loop: The kite loop causes medium side acceleration. Unhooked loops are already at a lower wind range extremely powerful. The kite doesn’t wobble in the slightest, but rather draws bigger radiuses which cause the necessary lee off-set.

Re-launch: Even in the lowest wind range you just have to tickle the lines a little and the big glider moves on to the runway and soars up. In launching the Addiction is similar to a Bow.

Suitability: The Addiction can be highly recommended to all intermediate and old school rider as well as Freerider. But also wakestyle rider who need a lot of time for practice should consider buying this natural lift in case the wind is flagging.

Troels Engholm
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Amager Beach park..
Favorite Beaches: Amager beach park, sydvest pynten
Denmark

Grece
Prassionisi

Venezuela
Coche
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD OBSESSION
RRD POISON 134/43
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored By RRD

Postby Troels Engholm » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 am

RRD forshure have some of the best and strongest gear on the market.
I have been riding the new poison honeycomp for the last 3 months, they cant break.

The bar system is so simpel, just pump your kite, put the lines on and you are ready to go, no adjustments or anything.

Find a dealer and try the new RRD Addiction, iam shure you will like it..

Bests..

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Uk South Coast
Style: Freeride, Waveride
Gear: North, Wainman, Firewire

Postby mr moon » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Guys, I fly Obsessions 9+12, very happy with them but I now need a 7mt and I am not too keen in the Obsession as I think it might be too fast especially in 25-30kn. I am for this reason looking into Addiction or Passion in RRD but also other brands like Blade Vertigo or North.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks dudes!
Alex

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster

Postby Live2KITE » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:41 am

Hey Alex,
The 7m Obsession is not too fast.
Move the bar to the inside knot and it will feel like your 9.
Enjoy,
Evan

Return to “Kitesurfing”