Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Rotary Beach, Kelowna B.C.
Favorite Beaches: Squamish Spit, Cabarete, Rotary Beach
Style: Old school, Wakestyle, freestyle
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

08 Naish Shift System line lengths????

Postby angelinversace » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 am

I just bought a used 08 9m torch and it flys like shit. I have found out that my steering lines(blue and red lines) are shorter than the control lines. and my 5th line is streched underneath the y connection how do i shorten the control lines and 5th?
Could anybody tell me the proper line lengths on the 08 shift sys.???.
I was told that they are all supposed to be the same if you attach to single point is that correct???

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 08 Naish Shift System line lengths????

Postby Bain » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:55 am

Hey,
I don't know the exact factory measurements, but I can tell you what I know.

First, Naish set up the shift system so that full power is when the bar is about 4 or 5 inches away from the top of the CL. It's hard to get away from that unless you make the depower throw really short. To answer your question, yes, full power is when fronts and backs are equal.
The 5th line should end up about 10 cm shorter, again, not sure on exact measurement.
The bungie on your 5th line is probably broken inside. It should be very bungie-y.
It usually stretches out after a little while.

I would usually make up for stretched out front lines by moving the back lines out to the last knot on the bar

Hope that helps.

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:06 am

I think blue+red+grey+grey+yellow should all be the same length when disconnected and compared. I have to check this someday before I can swear that this is the case but as far as I can remember - this is how it should work.

angelinversace
Medium Poster

Postby angelinversace » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:38 am

I still am kind of confused??? Naish sets the bar up to be oversheeted when the bar is pulled all the way in to the Chicken loop so you have to leave the bar out 4-5 inches for full power or depower the kite that just doesnt sound right. So are all the lines the same length when you get the bar brand new on stock settings??????

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, Spotz, Aguera, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:47 am

angelinversace wrote: you have to leave the bar out 4-5 inches for full power or depower the kite that just doesnt sound right. ?

It isn't right.

Simply set all 5 lines to equal length when the chicken loop is resting against the bar and the trim strap is set for maximum power (fully extended). Thats it. Period. (that's the factory setting)

Some riders may prefer to set it up equal 5 lines with the chicken loop an inch or two from the bar, but this can also be easily accomplished with the trim strap anyway, so don't worry about it unless you are very finicky.

:wink:
CG

angelinversace
Medium Poster

Postby angelinversace » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks CG!!! That's what i was thinking!!! i also ride in squam from time to time mabye see you around thanks :bye:

Dirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Global, Monarch

Postby Dirk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:10 am

As the bar is used and the front lines might have stretched, also make sure that you connect the fifth line to the kite in the correct length. I do not know how it is with the 08 Torch but my Naish 07 Raven fly best if the 5th is under very light tension when the bar is full pulled in and the adjuster is open (max. power). For me that is either the middle knot or the last knot away from the kite depending on the kite size.

For the back line length I have the kites set up that at max. power (bar pulled in) the wingtips start to open slightly (that's the recommendation from the manual also).

Dirk

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:32 pm

I apologize, I was thinking of 07 or older with the trim strap above the bar.
That is how they used to set them, if you did not have some trim pulled in it would oversheet when the bar was close or against the CL.

mattyoaks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Francis
Style: wakestyle/waveriding
Gear: Naish Torch and Thorn

Postby mattyoaks » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:56 pm

I bought a 2nd hand Torch 08 that flew pretty shitty too, turns out the previous owner had put a bit of line lengthening the the center lines by 4 odd centimeters (an inch and a half? :thumb: ) Not sure of the reasoning behind this... Maybe he liked flying over sheeted??¿

I took the bit of line out and now when fully powered the lines are pretty much equal length, don't think they have stretched too much... Now it flys pretty sweet, don´t need to depower to throw down unhooked :cool2:

I connect my 5th line to the uppermost knot.

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 pm

rig the bar so all lines are equal when the bar is against the chicken loop.
I've found that if you add about 10cm to the 5th line attachment on the kite it makes the Torch much better. the stock rigging has way to much 5th tension

unfortunately the way the shift system works with the branching 5th and front lines it can be somewhat tricky to readjust everything to the right lengths

Return to “Kitesurfing”