Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

plywood?

forum for kitesurfers


dave12341234
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Brand Affiliation: None

plywood?

Postby dave12341234 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:55 pm

im making a plywood board and i was wondering if fins are even needed, i still want to go upwind too so take that account. its currently 155cm by 47cm, but i can still change it . let me know thanks! oh yah post any size reccomendations that would be good for a beginner/ light wind

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2794
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: plywood?

Postby BWD » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Beginner?
Fins will help you keep it going the right direction :thumb:
Google for cheap wakeboard fins, probably 1.5" would be good.
Smaller = less drag, but also less tracking.
Unless you are really big, you can take it down to 145 or so and 45, but it's not critical.
Maybe if you are 90kg+, keep it @47 or so... either way it's going to be big enough.

User avatar
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:59 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oleander
Contact:

Re: plywood?

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:03 pm

No fins are needed and going finless will help you get going in lighter winds and help you learn to edge the board which is what you need to go upwind. You track the board and ride upwind on the edge, not the fin. Its easy enough to put a fin on later if you feel compelled to do so.

User avatar
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:32 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Small village

Re: plywood?

Postby abel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:56 pm

I built this one about 6 years ago in it's still ripping at 9-12 knots with a 11m2 kite! (me 80kg naked)

Definitely NO FINS for light wind.
Rocker < 1cm
Beneath and between the foot pads there is one layer of expoxyed fiberglass.
Another layer on the entire bottom.
16mm ply. Tips sanded to 8mm on the bottom for having some rocker.
The flor tiles are 20x20 cm (for reference).

Go for it!
You'll be going upwind at a fly's fart and you'll never know why. :thumb:

light wind board 1 top.jpg
light wind board 1 top.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

Very low wind Ply board plan.JPG
Attachments
Da Shelf small.jpg
Da Shelf small.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

kitepilot
Medium Poster
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:52 am

Re: plywood?

Postby kitepilot » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 am

Abel,
I really like your version of the plywood light wind board. Thanks for posting that. I am planning on upgrading my plywood board. My plywood board is about 5 years old and works fine, but it weighs a lot. I'm planning on building your version.
Your plan does not mention the fiberglass installation. At what part did you add the fiberglass? and what kind of weight did you end up with?
With my plywood version of the glide, I can get out there on 10 mph and mow the lawn and pop fwd/back rolls when most guys are just mowing. I did add very small fins on the heel side to help ride the small wave/whitewater rebuild that comes over the reef here.
Aloha KP

PS Dave1234, didn't mean to steal your thread, I like very small fins on my light wind board but try it without them first, you might not even want them. I am going to build Abel's version and not put fins on it first, and see how I like it before I install them. And also if you don't do much toe side riding you don't need them on that side of the board!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am

Re: plywood?

Postby OzBungy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:51 am

Fins make the board more forgiving of poor technique. They are not necessary and arguably create drag to make the board slower.

User avatar
WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:40 am
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Papua New Guinea

Re: plywood?

Postby WildDuke » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Love the faux wood graphics, how do you get it to look so real? ha ha ha!! :lol:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: plywood?

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:27 pm

dave12341234 wrote:im making a plywood board and i was wondering if fins are even needed, i still want to go upwind too so take that account. its currently 155cm by 47cm, but i can still change it . let me know thanks! oh yah post any size reccomendations that would be good for a beginner/ light wind


I've got a flat ply board, just a bit bigger, pretty much a rectangle no fins, windsurfing straps, and it goes up wind like nothing else. I get up wind better in light winds on that board better than all my other boards fully powered up. It's crazy sounding but true. It's logical to look at a flat piece of plywood and say this has no chance in hell of working, but it works like crazy.

dave12341234
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: plywood?

Postby dave12341234 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:41 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
dave12341234 wrote:im making a plywood board and i was wondering if fins are even needed, i still want to go upwind too so take that account. its currently 155cm by 47cm, but i can still change it . let me know thanks! oh yah post any size reccomendations that would be good for a beginner/ light wind


I've got a flat ply board, just a bit bigger, pretty much a rectangle no fins, windsurfing straps, and it goes up wind like nothing else. I get up wind better in light winds on that board better than all my other boards fully powered up. It's crazy sounding but true. It's logical to look at a flat piece of plywood and say this has no chance in hell of working, but it works like crazy.


That's awesome! Im so pumped, tuesday is going to produce so ill be out there cant wait to try it! did you sand down your edges (bevel them)?

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: plywood?

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:33 am

dave12341234 wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:
dave12341234 wrote:im making a plywood board and i was wondering if fins are even needed, i still want to go upwind too so take that account. its currently 155cm by 47cm, but i can still change it . let me know thanks! oh yah post any size reccomendations that would be good for a beginner/ light wind


I've got a flat ply board, just a bit bigger, pretty much a rectangle no fins, windsurfing straps, and it goes up wind like nothing else. I get up wind better in light winds on that board better than all my other boards fully powered up. It's crazy sounding but true. It's logical to look at a flat piece of plywood and say this has no chance in hell of working, but it works like crazy.


That's awesome! Im so pumped, tuesday is going to produce so ill be out there cant wait to try it! did you sand down your edges (bevel them)?


I beveled both upper and lower edges with a router. A friend of mine only beveled the upper edge. I don't know if it matters but bevel them a little bit at least for your hands.
I don't have any side cut on mine but I did round the corners, used the bottom of a paint can to trace out a nice ark of a circle. I had it out today and I still can't believe it can work, it should just dig into the water and throw me off but it doesn't. Here's a pic. After you stop laughing check out the corners, its more than just a circle, there's some arbitrary taper as well.
Attachments
DSC01344.JPG
DSC01344.JPG (147.38 KiB) Viewed 1157 times


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airfly, Alysum, Bradford, Hessel, kronan and 15 guests