RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

OT - slathered in sharks?

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Kiters like to talk about sharks, so here's a look beneath the surface at some. In this case several dozen fairly docile Grey Caribbean Reef sharks in a feeding behavior, this time anyway. Understand someone may have lost a significant body part to a pair of these recently, a diver not kiter. Kiters over all seem to be very fortunate when it comes to avoiding nasty encounters, to date anyway.

These are from the weekend off New Providence in the Bahamas

Put together a short video clip from about a hour of footage of several dozen Grey Caribbean Reef Sharks in a feeding behavior put on by Stuart Cove* over off New Providence in the Bahamas.

Click above image for video

and a few stills ...

Wondering what to do with the footage, a video screen saver? Ideas?

* http://www.stuartcove.com/
Last edited by RickI on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re: OT - shark shots

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Ideas on trying to reduce the odds of a bad shark encounter while kiting? There are some for consideration at:

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2338191

KEISER
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Outer Banks, NC
Favorite Beaches: anywhere the wind blows and the waves crash
Style: surf
Gear: unbroken
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: OT - slathered in sharks?

Postby KEISER » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm

we tend to have a few around in certain areas. strong incentive to land your tricks! :thumb:

www.windtoysfun.com
www.carolinakiting.com

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Is that the spinner migration off the Carolinas? If so, spent five afternoons of continuous riding over thousands of those guys heading north your way a couple of years back. Things were fine until near sunset when they would run on you in groups it seemed. Never spent much time in the water though, likely a good thing.

Here's a few more shots ...

Adds new meaning to "incoming!"

Nice eyes but you need to watch those teeth. Reminds me of something ...?

Thick with tiburons in there

omega
Rare Poster

Postby omega » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 am

here is a taste of what was happening just 100m off the west coast of Oz

http://www.watoday.com.au/photogallery/ ... -gv1c.html

on a side note, its shaping up to be an awesome summer

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 am

WINDTOYS: I wonder what will happen if you kite through there??? might be a nice ride with a kite cam to test it...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:59 am

Toby, that is exactly what some of us did for about five days in SE Florida in 2007. You could see them from the shore passing north and as you were riding. They looked the same as Windtoys aerial in airplane photos down here. They would pass beneath you by the dozen, hundreds per hour. If you came to close sometimes they would charge off. More about that unusual shark migration-wind time here.

Good suggestion though, wish I had an elevated camera to capture the spectacle or even an UW one mounted on the board for slow photo runs. Would have been pretty insane footage.

some more from Nassau, AJ's home turn, he likes sharks too, not!

The Stuart Cove shark feeds get a real dense pack of sharks, fairly well mannered, this time. Not always though, sometimes they bite more than bait I understand.

Heads or tails?

These guys would pass an inch or so away all around you, keep your hands in!

When the feeder left, all the sharks filed right after him. Guess they learned the hard way that if divers tried to board the boat with bait nearby things might not go so well.

tulumkite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Playa del carmen, Coco beach.Quintana Roo.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete Kite Beach D.R.
Isla Blanca Mexico
Coco Beach mexico
Style: Old School, Big Air, ^ freestyle.
Gear: EH Cabarete Kiteboarding
Location: Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Cancun, Mayan Riviera

Postby tulumkite » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 am

cichenlùp
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Kite: RRD Obsession 12 - 9
Board: Arriba Arriba

Postby cichenlùp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I agree 100% with Morpho

Please, don't get sharks used to associate men and food!! :nono:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 pm

That was the reasoning they used to ban shark feeding in Florida waters. That and connecting frequent shark attacks in Volusia County, (Sebastian Inlet) with shark feeding over 300 miles away in the Florida Keys? Still have frequent shark attacks in Volusia, with the sharks, bait schools and abundant surfers there big surprise despite the end to shark feeding years back.

The Bahamas is an incredibly sharky place, that is to say there is a ton of them around most of the islands year round. No massive migrations necessary as with the spinners in Florida. Suspect it might be the same in the Yucatan, don't know, last time I dove there was in 1973! I dove at various points around New Providence and usually saw no sharks. Some even a few miles from the feeding grounds. They didn't come up as soon as the boat arrive, anchored or even when I hit the water. There were about 15 around the Lost Blue Hole eight miles east of the island but took off in short order, perhaps because I was on a dive scooter. Didn't even get them on video, damn! Point is, aside from the shark feeding spot, don't see much in the way of a conditioned response involving interested sharks immediately showing up and feeding. Saw the same thing off Fresh Creek, Andros on the Tongue of the Ocean a couple of years back. Sharks would gather at the boat when it arrived at the feeding ground but not necessarily at other area spots.

A couple of months ago diving with Kent and crew south of GBI in the western Bahamas, had two gray reef sharks show up within minutes of them spearing a fish, several of times. Did get them on video a bunch of times fortunately. The same reasoning might have you ban spearfishing. Go sell that to the shooters now.

It may make sense to ban feeding to avoid undesired conditioned responses but is it factually accurate to conclude negative impact on people well out of the area (a few to hundreds of miles?). Still waiting to see the basis myself. I mainly free dive and take pictures these days and don't shoot fish or make a habit of feeding sharks myself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”