Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Tarifa - accident of a Frenchman - Mid October

Postby BraCuru » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:36 am

Hi,

Is here any witness of a Frenchman accident in Las Dunas approx on 17th October?
I hope he's all right by now. Wonder to know what caused his injuries.

I was on a scene a minute after the accident and tried to give a FA with a few Frenchmen.

One thing stroke me - a waiting period for an ambulance. I had to show a way to a local ambulance how to get to the spot. I thought that such a crowdie and famous spot has a contingency plan, emergency access routes etc.

Are the kitezones in Tarifa protected by any mean of water rescue (rather important during Levante)?
I haven't seen anything during my stay in October
On the second day I was trying to rescue an English guy off harbour - offshore wind and very strong current (3-5knots) was dragging him well towards Canary Islands. I made few mistakes which could cost us a lot :( After one hour of struggling, fortunately a passing diver boat picked up the guy and another one collected his gear free drifting into the ocean.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tarifa - accident of a Frenchman - Mid October

Postby Feng » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:08 pm

BraCuru wrote:On the second day I was trying to rescue an English guy off harbour - offshore wind and very strong current (3-5knots) was dragging him well towards Canary Islands
Strong offshore wind = looking for trouble.
very strong current = very difficult (impossible if the current and wind are opposite) to relauch the kite.
BraCuru wrote:Are the kitezones in Tarifa protected by any mean of water rescue (rather important during Levante)? I haven't seen anything during my stay in October
I have never been to Tarifa but if you are riding in limit condition (off shore wind, strong current) why not going to a school and check if they can arrange a recue boat (for a fee).

It looks to me unfaire to ask the collectivity (i.e. the Spanish tax payers) to pay a recue for people putting themself in a difficult situation (i.e. off shore wind + stong current)

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 pm

marcfrm wrote:It looks to me unfaire to ask the collectivity (i.e. the Spanish tax payers) to pay a recue for people putting themself in a difficult situation (i.e. off shore wind + stong current)
I would look for a similarity in skiing in famous ski resorts - all skiers and snowboarders usually got an insurance and free assistance on ski routes within a price of a skipass – independently from weather conditions or skills.
If you are a tourist arriving to a capital of kitesurfing in Europe why not to pay a local tax in a price of accommodation (for example 50 cents per night).
I’ve heard about one thousand kites counted one day on the Tarifa beaches. It would give a decent cup to maintain a proper assistance on the water, secure access for ambulances etc.

But my point of view might be wrong. Maybe local riders and schools do not want to improve anything in order to discourage unbelievable amount of riders during a high season. Maybe local authorities do not need to act as the two accidents I witnessed might have been the only two.
I just look from my perspective of a holiday kiter who was involved in two incidents within a short period of stay. Still remember two girls on the beach. One screaming in panic seeing condition of a Frenchman and the second one asking where is her friend (he was out of a view drifting into the ocean with a board only). Not nice...

Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).

Postby Maradentro » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:30 pm

marcfrm wrote: It looks to me unfaire to ask the collectivity (i.e. the Spanish tax payers) to pay a recue for people putting themself in a difficult situation (i.e. off shore wind + stong current)
I second that, it's up to the local business association to decide if such a rescue service would be a good thing for tourism in the area. Their members could then look at government or local businesses to pay for the rescue service.

Accidents can happen to all of us, each of us is responsible to either kite with a buddy, have local emergency nr's etc. Especially if you are traveling and practicing a adrenaline sport in a spot known for it's extreme conditions.

Mark

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm

BraCuru wrote:Hi,

Is here any witness of a Frenchman accident in Las Dunas approx on 17th October?
I hope he's all right by now. Wonder to know what caused his injuries.
Sorry no , I have not kited the entire month , we had only shitty Levante wind and I did not even bother making the trip down there .
I had to show a way to a local ambulance how to get to the spot. I thought that such a crowdie and famous spot has a contingency plan, emergency access routes etc.
That sound typical for Andalucians people ..... the driver lives probably his entire life there and has no f*** idea about his own town .
Are the kitezones in Tarifa protected by any mean of water rescue (rather important during Levante)?
I haven't seen anything during my stay in October
yes but only during the high season ( June 15th till Sept 15 th ) the rest of the year you need to call " salvamento maritimo " and ask them to rescue you / your buddy but that can be very expensive ( one boat + 3-4 people + 2hr )
On the second day I was trying to rescue an English guy off harbour - offshore wind and very strong current (3-5knots) was dragging him well towards Canary Islands. I made few mistakes which could cost us a lot After one hour of struggling, fortunately a passing diver boat picked up the guy and another one collected his gear free drifting into the ocean.
For this same reason I never kite with offshore winds unless there is a rescue boat ( mostly from a kite school ) , I know several " friends that had to get rid of their kites middle in the ocean cause they were simply not able to relaunch the kite ..... one thing I know for sure ; they will never kite in those conditions again .... one of them lost a brand new kite ( first session ) .

Saludos

Franz

rsillsley
Medium Poster

Postby rsillsley » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:46 pm

..well it was offshore today and there was about 30 people out infront of tarifa /los lances.. and no rescue boat..

there are more and more people sailing in inprotected offshore (levante) conditions here in tarifa (i.e. not down at valdeveqous / las dunas)

rsillsley
Medium Poster

Postby rsillsley » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:48 pm

and panchito.... "That sound typical for Andalucians people ..... the driver lives probably his entire life there and has no f*** idea about his own town"...

- i dont think that is a just an andalucian thing.... ;-)

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:33 pm

panchito wrote:That sound typical for Andalucians people ..... the driver lives probably his entire life there and has no f*** idea about his own town .

Franz
That's not a very nice thing to say.......

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:43 pm

marcfrm wrote: very strong current = very difficult (impossible if the current and wind are opposite) to relauch the kite.
I don't understand this comment. I'll have to get you to explain it.

To me the current wouldn't make much a difference as both pilot and kite would be equally affected by it.
But if the current and wind are exactly opposite (ie current direction is into the wind) then wouldn't that make it easier to re-launch as the net wind would be greater (by the amount of current). Conversely, if the current and wind are in the exact same direction then maybe it's a little more difficult to launch as the net wind would be less (by the amount of current). The wind would have to be pretty light to notice it either way I would think.

I've often wondered what the affect of current is during re-launch and so far I have not noticed any difficulty. We have some tidal currents here at the local beach, I don't know how fast they are though and it would depend on where in the tide cycle you measure it I guess.

Offshore winds would be a hoot if you're land locked but in the open ocean without a rescue boat it would be insane.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:00 pm

FredBGG wrote:
panchito wrote:That sound typical for Andalucians people ..... the driver lives probably his entire life there and has no f*** idea about his own town .

Franz
That's not a very nice thing to say.......

Wait until you spend a few years living & working here and THEN we talk .... Andalucia is not Spain , it is not Europe by any mean .

It´s a wonderful place for spending a vacation but if you are German ( like me ) working & living here is .......a disaster .

Yeah I know ..... you will ask yourself why the hell I am still here ? ..... cause of my wife .

Saludos

Franz

Return to “Kitesurfing”