Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Montial
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Maui
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot Fuel, Naish Torch
Brand Affiliation: None

January near Europe..

Postby murrosa » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 am

What warm water places do you suggest for beginner in January near Europe, preferrably shallow flat water places? Egypt, Creece, Israel, Spain, France. I have heard that in January the winds are quite bad in Egypt. Of course Cape Town, Brazil are the best places in January, but is there some nice windy place closer to Europe?

switch313
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Re: January near Europe..

Postby switch313 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 pm

tarifa is allways windy, you wont get warm water in europe in the off season you can ride with a 3/2 longsuit though, the waves can be gnarly and powerful so practice jumping both ways very well before you go, spain is well cheap to live in aswell......

brunislovas
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Curonian spit, Lithuania
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, Tarifa
Style: begginer/intermediate yet
Gear: 2011 Naish Parks. 12, 8 and 6.

Postby brunislovas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:15 am

Tarifa is the warmest place in Europe, i guess. i do live here for couple of months, working online and learning to kite. waves, when straight onshore Poniente blows, is a bit harsh to take waterstart for beginners like me. otherwise it's good, because there are 2 beaches (Los Lances sur, in Tarifa itself for Poniente (for west wind) and Los Lances nort, in Punta Palome, Valdevaqueros for Levante, east wind), so you can get 2 spots for different direction winds.

there's no week without minimum 1-2 days of wind, though, get bigger and smaller kites. Local guys say, they are kiting for 3-4 a week. closiest airport is Gibraltar, others - Jerez, Sevilla, Malaga. You can find apartment for ±38eur/night for 2-3 persons and ±60eur for 4-5. that's approx.

check windguru and windfinder for wind/temperature/precipitation stastistics

rsillsley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby rsillsley » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 pm

To correct some of the earlier posts about Tarifa...

It definitely is NOT always windy in Tarifa..
Its definitely is NOT the warmest place in Europe... in fact its f**king freezing in winter, and it rains a lot, especially in a Poniente...

Return to “Kitesurfing”