forum for kitesurfers

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Ocracoke

Postby lewmt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Looks like a trip is brewing with a crew of old high school friends. They've all decided Ocracoke is the place & late April the time. None of this crew kites(yet) so I'll likely be on my own. Have read April is good timing for wind. What about water temps? Shorty or full wet suit needed? Read about shallow water & oyster beds in the sound - can anyone share knowledge on areas to avoid the worst hazards there? Also - are there regulations and issues regarding kiting around Ocracoke? I may be limited for transportation as I'll be flying in & riding with others to get there. Are there plenty of good spots to launch or? Any info/suggestions appreciated...oh & beginner/intermediate kite skills at best.

Chungmu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Ocracoke

Postby Chungmu » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:35 pm

lewmt wrote:Looks like a trip is brewing with a crew of old high school friends. They've all decided Ocracoke is the place & late April the time. None of this crew kites(yet) so I'll likely be on my own. Have read April is good timing for wind. What about water temps? Shorty or full wet suit needed? Read about shallow water & oyster beds in the sound - can anyone share knowledge on areas to avoid the worst hazards there? Also - are there regulations and issues regarding kiting around Ocracoke? I may be limited for transportation as I'll be flying in & riding with others to get there. Are there plenty of good spots to launch or? Any info/suggestions appreciated...oh & beginner/intermediate kite skills at best.

I have kited there a few times but mostly on the ocean side. If you have 4wd you can drive out there and kite just about anywhere you like and should have plenty of open space. Just be respectful to the fisherman. I would recommend a full suit and a shorty but if you only have room for one bring the full. April can be warm but at the same time nasty and cold. I am usually in my full suit (3/2mm) into May.

Sound side is nice to but I have yet to go down there when the wind was right to ride the sound side. Most of the spots will require a vehicle to get to or a decent walk. Never heard anyone mention the oyster bed issue. I know there are some beds here and there but nothing you can't easily avoid. Granted I have sliced my feet pretty good on the occasional shell so booties might be a good idea.

April is a great time to be here so should get to ride a few days easily. Keep in mind that it is just a short ferry ride to Hatteras for even more riding options. Almost forgot, they do close areas of the beach down there at times for the birds, turtles or whatever. You might want to check with the park service to find out if there are any access restrictions during the time you are going.

-C

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:46 pm

there are a lot of really good spots in ocracoke that no one kites...... like sickest slicks on the obx. but i'm not talking. Oh and it blows from march until beginning of june. i'll be on the islands so give me a ring, always love an excuse to go down there, it's sick. No to mention that the water will be 15 degrees warmer on all the south facing beaches.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Wow - am totally stoked now thanks for the responses. Hard part is waiting for this trip to happen :jump:

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby RickyBobby » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Okracoke is great and the village is way cooler than anything on Hatteras island. Rent a bicycle and cruise around.

RB

Return to “Kitesurfing”