Scam Artist on Kiteforum's Second Hand Section

forum for kitesurfers

Gustmuncher
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: None

Scam Artist on Kiteforum's Second Hand Section

Postby Gustmuncher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 am

Recently, I put a board on the second hand section on this forum and last week I was approached by email with an inquiry. I came to an agreement with the person and they then told me that they were working in the UK and that someone would send me the money and I could ship the board to another person in California. I thought that was odd but so far nothing too weird. Then I received a paypal payment for almost 5 times the amount we agreed upon and I got an email at the same time asking me to send him the difference. At this point, I called paypal and they told me that it was a scam. However, now I have this money in my paypal account and the guy keeps writing me email asking me to send the money. What should I do? Is there really any money there? I think I'll call paypal again but I thought I would alert everyone that someone is working the second hand section of this forum and he is definitely a scam artist. BEWARE!

Greg

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Re: Scam Artist on Kiteforum's Second Hand Section

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:18 am

thanks for the heads up :thumb: but dude! if the cash is real keep it, he was trying to scam you and it back fired it's about someone shit on those scums

oldkiter
Medium Poster

Postby oldkiter » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 am

These scams have been around for almost 10 years. But surprised at the PayPal payment. PayPal will "confirm" if the money is actually there. But, in any case just refuse the deal and Paypal will send the payment back to the seller - if there was REALLY a payment!

angelinversace
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Rotary Beach, Kelowna B.C.
Favorite Beaches: Squamish Spit, Cabarete, Rotary Beach
Style: Old school, Wakestyle, freestyle
Gear: Naish

Postby angelinversace » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:37 am

i dont see how sending you 5x the payment is a scam just keep the money and send the board problem solved you made 500% profit the scam is on them if they are dumb enough to send you that much money

Gustmuncher
Rare Poster

Postby Gustmuncher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 am

From what I understand, the money may not really be there. If you send the merchandise and send them the difference you end up losing your stuff and the money comes out of your account. Nightmare. I'm not going to do anything for a while to see what happens with the money in the account.

hawnsolos
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Shaws Cove California, Westpunt Curacao

Postby hawnsolos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 am

angelinversace wrote:i dont see how sending you 5x the payment is a scam just keep the money and send the board problem solved you made 500% profit the scam is on them if they are dumb enough to send you that much money

this is the common mentality of people who get this "real" money in their paypal account from a Nigerian scammer. but when all the dust settles usually the seller gets the money taken away, there is a 30 day clearing in paypal if you read the fine print. basically if he takes the money and puts it in his account and it is later found it was not legit money, the money can be taken back by law cause paypal sure wont take the hit. i would call paypal and forward them any proof you have of this guy.

just google "nigerian scams" for more examples.

angelinversace
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Rotary Beach, Kelowna B.C.
Favorite Beaches: Squamish Spit, Cabarete, Rotary Beach
Style: Old school, Wakestyle, freestyle
Gear: Naish

Postby angelinversace » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 am

hawnsolos wrote:this is the common mentality of people who get this "real" money in their paypal account

haha u are right i would be the one to get ripped off haha. dam it i have to stop being greedy

lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Surf / Freestyle

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 am

This happened to a friend.
He posted a surfboard for sale on Graigslist.
Buyer sent him a check for triple. He said he will send a person to pick up the board after the check clears. He wanted the seller to take a few hundred extra for his trouble and asks if he could give the pick guy up the board and extra cash. He said he had other items in the area they were buying.

Turns out the check is a perfect fake. The bank can't tell the difference until its sent to the original bank weeks later. Once they find out they charge the seller for the full amount of the bounced check.

Sounds like paypal has loop holes.
If it is to good to be true than it's not true.
[url]
www.lukeskiteboarding.com[/url]

tucker
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Long Bay, Provo
Perdido Key, FL
Style: FREE
Gear: Naish,

Postby tucker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:31 am

watch out for scott fintan. he is one of these scammers

Gustmuncher
Rare Poster

Postby Gustmuncher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Scott Fintan is the guy who contacted me and his buddy Greg Connaway. I think they're the same person. There's a special place in hell for these douche bags.

Return to “Kitesurfing”