Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2010 slingshot Comp Bar

forum for kitesurfers

brock
Rare Poster

2010 slingshot Comp Bar

Postby brock » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 pm

my stopper on my new slingshot octance 2010 comp stick does not stop my bar from movement up the lines. Anyone else experience this?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Re: 2010 slingshot Comp Bar

Postby shymac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 am

If your having any trouble with your stopper ball, stopping I would highly recommend contacting your local dealer or shoot a line to warranty and they should be able to get you the right ball. With all the balls going around, I would assume some could be a lemon... :wink2:

http://www.slingshotsports.com/warranty-request
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (92.83 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

chadster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: gold coast
Favorite Beaches: bali
Style: surf
Gear: slings
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby chadster » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm

The swivel - Pictured in the post above - is the biggest piece of crap SS has ever put on a kite
It does not work - you cant reach it - the bearing rust pretty much straight away - and it fills will sand
It is also so heavy that if you let your bar go the whole thing sinks - so you cant swim to your bar if you let it go -

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:50 pm

chadster wrote:The swivel - Pictured in the post above - is the biggest piece of crap SS has ever put on a kite
It does not work - you cant reach it - the bearing rust pretty much straight away - and it fills will sand
It is also so heavy that if you let your bar go the whole thing sinks - so you cant swim to your bar if you let it go -

Thats a bummer. have not had a chance to fly my octanes yet, maybe slingshot could redesign that bit before I hit the water

jens_buhl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jens_buhl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Bain wrote:
chadster wrote:The swivel - Pictured in the post above - is the biggest piece of crap SS has ever put on a kite

Thats a bummer. have not had a chance to fly my octanes yet, maybe slingshot could redesign that bit before I hit the water

Not true! At least not for all. I have had two Octanes (9+11) since October last year and both swivels work very good. All I need to remember is to give the swivel a few half-way turns each way when rigging the kite and it will spin like intended. The only caveat is that the CLS bungee, which runs through it for the below bar safety, does naturally not spin. It is therefore not possible to use the swivel for only spinning in one direction, because the bungee will get twisted over time, but that is not an issue for me.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:26 am

Not true! This is the only spinner on the market that actually works and needs no more care than any other spinner out there.

Hard to beleive that the "weight" of the spinner makes a difference but i can assure you that the SS bar does not sink. Like any other bar what keeps it afloat are the foam floaters on the leader lines.

I am really happy with the new bar but I know it is hard to please everyone. That is why they are so many different bars out there. None makes unanimity but the SS competition stick is surely considered among the best.

chadster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: gold coast
Favorite Beaches: bali
Style: surf
Gear: slings

Postby chadster » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:12 am

I have 3 bars - all of them have rusted bearings in the that so called swivel.
To reply to the bar floating - maybe it floats in perfectly calm water - but when i ditch my bar in the surf the only time I see it again is when I get to the beach - with the previous bar without that stupid heavy swivel I could swim and find my bar on the surface and get going again. It F#$king sinks to the bottom and I have had it catch on some rocks. So if that is not sinking I dont know what is.
This is the opinion of my mates who ride this bar as well -
I guess we'll be stuck with it as it would cost SS an absolute bucket of money to produce this -

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:40 am

If your swivel is rusting I would recommend contacting warranty to get a replacement. Those shouldn't rust, but mold's can be dirty and you could have a bunk part. The floating issue has never been a problem and if you ever were tea bagd' that hard, your bar can catch anything even with out that damn swivel. When floating.. the swivel is about 2 feet down in the water. If you're falling on 2 feet of water that your own problem... Since it's a flush-able thrust bearing, the part can be maintained to keep; Like new condition. Sail Coat or Dry lube are the best lubricates for coating the bar with. Works great on ropes, pulleys, and swivels.

The bar is sick and it would be hard to find the feel and performance of the SS Compstick Bar.
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (145.69 KiB) Viewed 721 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (93.08 KiB) Viewed 721 times

brock
Rare Poster

Postby brock » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:02 am

I have changed the stopper on my bar and it still does not hold. The stoppers nipple fully submerges into the plastic grommet hole on the bar and does not pinch the ropes like previous models. If I am the only one with this problem I guess my bar is defecttive.
Thanks

harviento
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby harviento » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:33 am

Best design ever on paper, but doesn't work as well in the real world:

*My stopper doesn't stop either.

*Below-the-bar depower doesn't work as well as other designs. Lots of yanking and cursing required, whereas other below-the-bar designs work instantly and easily with one hand.

*Hard plastic ejection system pinches hands and fingers under bar.

*Swivel works better than others, but not the second coming as many expected. Frequently requires manual unspinning (even when mixing tricks up in both directions).

*Can't swap out the stock 23m lines for any other lines you already have in your kit because this bar only accepts Slingshot's super skinny line ends.

*Because of friction in the design, the emergency release doesn't immediately release until after a few additional yanks.

*Heavy, chunky piece of stainless steel not ideal as part of a chicken loop.

*Squared off hard plastic end of depower line can get caught between the two depower lines or between chicken loop and leash connection. Hard to pull through because of boxy squared shape.

Some good ideas, but looking forward to a Comp Stick 2.0 or Knockoff 1.0 and hoping these issues are addressed. The basic design of allowing a below-the-bar connection to a front flag line, while still allowing at least a moderate amount of spinning is great. But the actual implementation of the various components leaves much to be desired.

Return to “Kitesurfing”