Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bahamas Wind - last week of May?

Postby LanBro » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Staying at the Reef in Atlantis and was wondering how the wind is in the Bahamas during that time? strength and direction?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Bahamas Wind - last week of May?

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Hard to say. In some years the wind turns off by mid May, in some early June. Normal weather is changing by the year, this year, who knows? If you have your heart set on kiting, I would try to go a bit earlier before the lighter summer wx pattern kicks in. I was in the Abacos two years ago in the last week in May and had wind into the 30's from a strong, highly unusual late season cold front. I wasn't expecting it but it happened, that time. Last year in Nassau, the wind was pretty dead by then from the windgraphs.

As to direction, I would expect SE to perhaps E if the summer pattern is on. Need to go to Blue Hill on south New Providence or go out by boat. If a cold front is on, then you may have some NW to N to NE winds along with the rest as it clocks south. I hope you get some good wind but it seems iffy by past experience in late May. AJ with http://www.cross-shore.com/ can offer you some more info.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:01 am

it can go either way indeed, if i were you i would prepare for the worse, last May sucked 2 sweaty mongoose balls, but on a more positive side of things, the Reef beach is sick for flat water and waves, that's if the wind is N,NE. Pack a couple days worth of 20 knots along with your gear and sun tan oil :lol: drop me a line, prayfawind@live.com if my days off align with your visit i can come pick you up and show you the spots

Miike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Frenchman's Bay and lakeview park. Along with several soccer fields and lakes in the winter
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: BIG AIR AND HANG TIME!! I live for float
Gear: Best Waroo 5, 7, 13. Liquid Force Assault 19, Slingshot len10, Home Made plyboards ;)

Postby Miike » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey!
I'm on a cruise and heading over to Nassau on roughly April 20-21! How's the wind there at that time?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Miike wrote:Hey!
I'm on a cruise and heading over to Nassau on roughly April 20-21! How's the wind there at that time?
Potentially, pretty good. It depends on the weather systems particularly cold fronts. If a strong one passes through during your trip, may have some nice winds. Too far off to say much more at this point. Good thing is, you can kite most all wind directions at some point off New Providence.

Return to “Kitesurfing”