lostktbdr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarders Racing 24 miles

Postby lostktbdr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 am

Local Kiteboarders Crossing Lake Pontchartrain for Leukemia Awareness

2nd Annual Kiteboarder Crossing covers 24-mile distance traditionally completed by boat

March 11 (New Orleans) – Christopher Stuckey, a local kiteboarder, will kite 24 miles across Lake Ponchartrain as a participant in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s annual Leukemia Cup Regatta the weekend of March 19th – 21st. The 2009 New Orleans Regatta, part of a series of boat races hosted across the country to raise money to fund leukemia and lymphoma research, was the first in the series to allow a non-sailing participant – Stuckey – to enter the event. Stuckey’s contribution was invaluable to the cause; he not only was the second highest grossing local fundraiser – exceeding his donation goal one month before his deadline – but his unique efforts as a kiteboarding participant garnered national attention.

Hoping to make big waves again in 2010 for the fight against blood cancers, Stuckey has raised the stakes: he made the Kiteboarder Crossing its own subsidiary fundraiser – with raised earnings going to the Leukemia Cup Regatta – and invited kiteboarders throughout the Gulf South join his philanthropic mission. Five participants thus far have raised the pre-requisite $500 entry – some traveling as far as Miami to take part. The Kiteboarder Crossing’s goal is to raise $10,001 in support of the Leukemia Cup Regatta

Stuckey’s inspiration to participate in the Leukemia Cup Regatta came from his father, Terry Stuckey, who died at the age of 43 after two long years battling Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.

“I didn’t originally consider participating again this year” says Stuckey. “Then, I met Kendall, a 4 year old boy who is in remission from battling a rare form of Leukemia. At that moment it became clear; this little guy’s energy and smile was enough to motivate me to get involved and fundraise another $10,000 for the LLS.”

The official Kiteboarder Crossing website, www.kiteboardercrossing.com, allows members of the community to track the progress of the fundraiser’s financial goal. The site allows visitors to make a direct deposit, and also provides mailing information for those who wish to make a contribution. A limited run of 2010 Kiteboarder Crossing t-shirts are also available for purchase as supplies last; proceeds go towards the fundraiser.

Regularly updated, the website will announce the date of the event once it has been decided. Forceful winds are necessary for kiteboarding, and monitoring the weather to ensure a favorable forecast makes it necessary to schedule the event just days in advance.

“I must tell you that I am truly impressed with Chris and his dedication to this very important cause,” remarked Loree LeBoeuf, LLS 2009 Campaign Manager. “My youngest daughter, age 6, is a two-time leukemia survivor, and I believe that she is here today, not only by the grace of God, but also through the strides made by research funded by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.”

For more information, visit the 2010 Lake Pontchartrain Kiteboarder Crossing website at
www.kiteboardercrossing.com

For video updates regarding the 2010 Lake Pontchartrain Kiteboarder Crossing visit
http://www.vimeo.com/user1330725.

About The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education and patient services. LLS's mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Since its founding in 1949, LLS has invested more than $600 million in research specifically targeting blood cancers.

Local Sponsors of the Leukemia Cup Regatta include Peoples Health, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, The Yeomans Agency, Pontchartrain Yacht Club, Southern Yacht Club and New Orleans Yacht Club.

National Sponsors of the Leukemia Cup Regatta include West Marine, Mount Gay Rum, John Mecray Limited Editions, North Sails, Sailing World, Jobson Sailing, Inc. and Ken Gardiner Model Maker, Steve & Doris Colgate Offshore Sailing School, Vineyard Vines.

For more information, visit: www.lls.org.

Return to “Kitesurfing”