Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

naish arx 15.5 ok for a beginner or should I move on?

forum for kitesurfers

darylrue
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: 6 hours from lake maconahay nebraska.
Favorite Beaches: Annual trips to St. Petes Beach Florida
Style: Beginner
Gear: Rush Pro 350
Brand Affiliation: None

naish arx 15.5 ok for a beginner or should I move on?

Postby darylrue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:49 am

Ok I am a beginner. I have had 2 lessons and heading to st. petes again april 20th for a third lesson.

I have a rush pro 350 and a landboard. Tried it a few times in 15mph winds on grass. Moved a little but I want to move fast and learn how to do some turns. It is cold most of the time here in nebraska but I want to experience full kitesurfing THIS YEAR(I turn 40 in november).

So I bought a naish arx 15.5 with a 18" liquid force bar for $250 on my last trip right before we left. I have not been able to fly it for over 30 seconds without it tipping forward (12mph winds). I tried it again in 15mph winds and could not get it up. I just read that I may have to hook my top lines in tighter and give it a try.

My thought is to buy a bar that might come with an neo 2 14m or a pulse 2 and try it with the naish. If it works, buy a smaller version and use it for land and snow boarding, maybe around 8-9m . I am 150 and our winds are mostly under 15mph. Some 20mph days but few and far between.

I really love the ability to launch and relaunch the rush pro. So the big question.

If I get a bigger bar, get some real patients and try every configuration to get the naish up in the air and keep it there, will it be a simple to launch kite or relaunchable with some ground practice, or should I move on to a more modern kite?

It was amazing going about 1/2 a football field cross wind with landboard though. I was like a little kid again. I have been up till 12am and 4am since trying to figure out my next kite and thought crap, maybe I can get the one I have to work well!

Daryl
Omaha Nebraska

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: naish arx 15.5 ok for a beginner or should I move on?

Postby BWD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:17 am

It would behoove you to get something more modern.
Much easier to use, relaunch, etc.
Also safer.
You might really struggle with the arx.
Plenty of used kites around for reasonable prices -better to get 06 or later!
Move on!

Trant
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Trant » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 am

darylrue wrote:So I bought a naish arx 15.5 with a 18" liquid force bar for $250

Would have to agree, that's a very old kite (2002 I think) and a terrible kite to be learning on compared to more modern kites.

It's not just a case of "latest and greatest", kites manufacturers have made some massive technical gains every year, but most people would agree that 2006 was a breakthrough year. You will find it a lot easier to learn with a post 2006 kite, preferably a Bow/SLE/Flat style kite.

If you're determined to stick with it, the reason that kite is falling out of the sky is called hindenburging. The kite flies too far forward in the window, loses lift, turns over and falls. Modern kites are far less prone to this, simply sliding back into the wind window and thus staying in the air.
To prevent that with an ARX in light winds, you're going to have to keep the kite moving (or yourself moving). Don't park it at 12 o'clock in light/gusty winds.

darylrue
Rare Poster

Postby darylrue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:30 am

Can't thank you enough for the feedback. I will move on then. If there are any specific suggestions for an easy launch / relaunch I could use for both landboarding and snowboarding in those light winds it would help. Otherwise I start saving for the $1k options with all the current literature and reviews.

Thanks again! For now I am hoping for some huge wind days!

Daryl

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

For your size I would get a 9m kite that is 2007 or newer. Look for closeout deals as well. I got a 2009 Naish cult with bar and lines for $550 brand new.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:52 pm

The arx, I think, is an old c-kite so you'll want to at least install a 5th line, if you haven't done so already, so you can launch it off the ground. The 5th is a must on a c-kite unless you're turning pro soon. Also, it's almost impossible to launch a c-kite off the snow/grass in 12mph wind with out your 5th line. It can be done but it's damn tricky.

Have you tuned your bar? Checked the kite settings?

That said, I think you would likely have way better luck moving on to newer gear, 07 and up. At 150lbs I can't see why you would need anything bigger than a 12m C or 10m SLE. Not sure about the size of foil, likely around 12m maybe, I think they have similar power to that of the C kite.

Good luck :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 pm

The short answer: NO :o

The ARX in 15.5 is not okay, as it has a lot of the "faults" of that time.

Hardly relaunchable, turns slow, hindenburgs, no depower, etc etc.

So I would bury this kite, and enjoy the pleasure and motivation it has given you, to kitesurf (and move on) :thumb:

It is NOT a kite for a beginner (nor an experienced or middle kitesurfer) :(

:D Peter

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:The short answer: NO :o

The ARX in 15.5 is not okay, as it has a lot of the "faults" of that time.

Hardly relaunchable, turns slow, hindenburgs, no depower, etc etc.

So I would bury this kite, and enjoy the pleasure and motivation it has given you, to kitesurf (and move on) :thumb:

It is NOT a kite for a beginner (nor an experienced or middle kitesurfer) :(

:D Peter

+1 this was a dog

If you can't face burial... there's always ebay!

darylrue
Rare Poster

Postby darylrue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Ok so here is what I am thinking. P.S. my wife just ok'd a $1k kite. Whohoo. I told her I may have 5-10 years max left but I intend to go until i absolutely can't.

How about a 11m neo 2. I could use it on landboard under 15mph, on snow 15-20mph and in water 20-25 mph? If I get good and can justify the bigger kite I would add a 14m for example in a year or so.

reminder 152 lbs in light wind conditions in NE.

Thoughts?

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Are you interested in a kite for land/ snow only, or are you looking to get on the water? If you are looking for a land kite I would go with Ozone. Higher resale value and they are very high quality kites. If you are looking at getting on the water, I would look at inflatables as the learning curve will be a lot shorter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”