Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Petition against new Air France / KLM baggage policies

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 am

I have started a petition against the new AIR FRANCE / KLM baggage policies here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/notonewairfrancebaggagerule/

If you can spread the word and help us make a change, it would be great!!!!

"Since March 28th 2010, Air France / KLM have changed their baggage policies. Now, if you want to check-in a bag which is more than 158cm (total of the 3 dimensions: height+length+width), you will have to pay 200€ from Europe or $200 from US for a one way flight.

In short, this means that if you want to transport any type of board bag (surf, windsurf, kitesurf), you will have to pay 400€ or $400 USD total per checked bag for your round trip in addition to your ticket.

This is extortion, pure and simple and not affordable for the vast majority of kiteboarders, surfers or windsurfers, passionate people, who want to just travel safely, bring along their gear to practice their beloved sport, much like a golfer will do."

Thx,

Alexandre Caizergues
www.alexcaizergues.com

Vinny
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Petition against new Air France / KLM baggage policies

Postby Vinny » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm

If your luggage requires special treatment because it cannot go through automated airport baggage then you have to expect to pay for the privilege.

Im surprised KLM are still with us, they are such an expensive poor quality airline and now have French attitude as well.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm

What about the apparent unwritten policy of not forwarding bags for connecting flights through Chas. De Gaulle? Near as I can tell it was another undeclared job action or perhaps too much trouble for the handlers to bother. Was plagued by that years ago until I stopped flying Air France. If you don't fly them and hopefully have a choice not to, no problem with the new baggage policies.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 pm

signed! I hope it helps! :thumb:

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Vinny wrote:Im surprised KLM are still with us, they are such an expensive poor quality airline and now have French attitude as well.

Actually, for flights from Asia to Europe, or from North America to Europe, KLM has always been one of the cheaper airlines. But yes, they don't exactly have the most comfortable seats or the best in-flight service, I can agree with that. Other than that, they have always been quite all right. In fact, what makes this extra sad is that KLM used to have very generous policies for sports equipment. Just a few years ago, you could bring a bike on KLM international flights for a very modest fee. A couple of years ago, they changed that by jacking up the price for bikes to the point where it is almost cost prohibitive to bring a bike on a KLM flight. And now they will start slapping high fees on oversize bags as well :(

Vinny wrote:If your luggage requires special treatment because it cannot go through automated airport baggage then you have to expect to pay for the privilege.

I can understand having to pay a bit extra. But 400€ per roundtrip seems quite excessive... There is no way that they will be able to convince me that the extra labor cost for handling my boardbag is 200€. What is it that they plan to do - assign a team of 10 dedicated baggage handlers to manually carry the bag from the check-in counter all the way to the aircraft?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Petition is good but the only way they will really understand is if we stop using these airlines !

Naby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: Learning
Gear: 10m EH / Freak Dog Vicious, 140x40Freak Dog Tracker

Postby Naby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Signed. Hope it helps. Not only for KLM but also so that other airlines don't get the same idea.

Regarding baggage fees... I always find it irritating that I get charged for one extra pound on my luggage when the guy behind me weights twice as much as I do... Maybe there should be a total weight allowance for both the luggange and the passenger. Seems fair to me :wink:

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 pm

Naby wrote:Regarding baggage fees... I always find it irritating that I get charged for one extra pound on my luggage when the guy behind me weights twice as much as I do... Maybe there should be a total weight allowance for both the luggange and the passenger. Seems fair to me :wink:

charge the fat people more - I love it! I'm surprised the airlines haven't thought of it yet. Think of how much $$ US airlines could make. And they can simply say that fat people add to fuel costs. They probably also add to bathroom costs too from eating/shitting all that extra food ;-)

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 am

golf bags and snowboard bags still fly free though on KLM...

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 am

Hi Toby, I don't know where you get that from.

I just accidentally checked up on the KLM rules.
As of now new rules say only 1 bag for all destinations, w+h+l 158.
But they have a kite package - from Europe to nearby for around 40EUR per direction.

As far as I can tell, this kite package is not being removed with the new rules.

Return to “Kitesurfing”