Forum for kitesurfers
Rasmuskk
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginnerspots Crete?!

Postby Rasmuskk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:37 pm

My Girlfriend and I are hoping to go on a short trip to a windy destination....

We're currently looking at the Eastern part of Crete... looks like it's windy....

Only problem seems to be that there are very few beginnerspots. Do any of you have any info on beginnerspots in Creete - Please help us out...

kitebeaches.com does not have much info on this.... And I've even heard that kitesurfing is banned on one of the spots

Gpet78
Medium Poster

Re: Beginnerspots Crete?!

Postby Gpet78 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Crete is one of the worst places to start kitesurfing compared to the other Greek island(Paros, Naxos, Rhodos, Kos, Limnos, Leukada and many other) Eastern Crete is definitely windy and has very good wind stats but it is only good for windsurfers or experienced kitesurfers because the spots have either side-off gusty winds or onshore conditions with small launching area. An experienced kitesurfer can have a fairly good time in eastern Crete and kite for an average of 4 times a week but a beginner can easily make wrong judgment of the condition and get into serious trouble. I don't know also if it is easy to find an instructor there. In western Crete there is a kite school (www.kiteland.gr) but I don't recommend west Crete either. Finally October is not the best month for winds here in Crete.
For this time of the year I recommend:Paros or Naxos or Rhodos (Rhodos in my opinion is by far the best even if you don't kite because it is a big island full nice beaches and other beautiful sites)

PS I am from west Crete and have kited in most of the spots in Crete since 2002

Rasmuskk
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beginnerspots Crete?!

Postby Rasmuskk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply....
We primarily talked about Crete because it stood out as one of the warm spots in Europe with the best windstatistics - and because the flight is fairly cheap.

I'm an IKO instructor myself so we don't rely on local schools. My girlfriend had her first few rides ½ a year ago but hasn't been on the water since.

We'll look for some info on beginnerspots on Rhodes

Thanks once again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”