Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics 9,11,15
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130
Brand Affiliation: None

Elastic Mini Fifth Lines

Postby davesails7 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Does anybody know where you can get the elastic line that's used for some mini fifth lines? My airush smart bar has one so that when you depower the line doesn't hang loose. Not sure if all mini fifth lines are elastic or not.

On a Rampage
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Elastic Mini Fifth Lines

Postby On a Rampage » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 pm

You just answered your own question. Why not just order it from Airush. Slingshot has this also that I know of.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130

Postby davesails7 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:31 pm

I was just wondering if I can get it cheap by the foot to retrofit to another bar that has a non-elastic mini fifth line.

I know with depower lines you can get replacements for $25 and up plus shipping or you can go to west marine and buy amsteel blue for $0.85 a foot. Same stuff for 1/5 of the price...

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 pm

davesails7 wrote:Does anybody know where you can get the elastic line that's used for some mini fifth lines? My airush smart bar has one so that when you depower the line doesn't hang loose. Not sure if all mini fifth lines are elastic or not.

I assume you are asking because your mini fifth line lost its elasticity and is now hanging down loose?

If that is the case, then you can fix the one you have. I have fixed 2 of the IDS mini fifth lines.

You just need a "fid" to thread the internal "bungee" elastic line back through the inside of the spectra line...and then secure it with a few stitches of dental floss.

If you want to make one from scratch, just get some spectra leader line (about 3 mm), and some thin elastic bungee, and use a fid to thread the bungee through the inside of the spectra leader line, and then secure the bungee at both ends with a few stitches.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
Mako 130

Postby davesails7 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:55 am

No, I haven't had that problem. I have a '10 epic bar and the mini fifth has no elasticity, so it just hangs loose.

The depower was a little too short for my '08 waroos, so I made it a few inches longer and now I need to buy a new mini fifth anyway. (I love the bar other than that)

I was just hoping to get the name of the line so maybe I could buy a few feet of it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”