Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Miami Course Racing Regatta This Weekend

Postby RickI » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Start your engines ...

This is the important kiteboarding demonstration event part of the Miami Olympic Classes Regatta.

Here is some information from the official race site at: http://www.sailgroove.org/coverage/238002-Miami-Kiteboard-Course-Racing-Regatta

"This regatta is open to all kiteboarders! There will be a practice race on Friday, January 28th at 1600 hours. The scheduled time of the Warning Signal for the first race each day (Saturday & Sunday) is 1100 hours."

I understand they will take competitors out to a nearby island to rig and launch by boat from Shake-A-Leg's facility in the Grove. http://www.shakealegmiami.org Folks wanting to practice on Friday will meet at this facility.

More info on the event Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=184369218244707&notif_t=event_invite#!/event.php?eid=184369218244707

An important official information including entry forms at:
http://www.sailgroove.org/coverage/238002-Miami-Kiteboard-Course-Racing-Regatta

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Miami Course Racing Regatta This Weekend

Postby noel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Same weekend as the Jupiter event? That kind of sucks.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 pm

It does but I suspect they didn't have much choice in the timing. It was likely dictated by the Olympic Classes Regatta folks. Just learned the details myself about an hour ago.

airsurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsurfer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Kite Invasion will probably be more fun, may not matter anyway so far forecasts are not calling much wind, It'll probably turn into an SUP race. I'm half tempted to bring a Flysurfer Speed 3 21M down there just to see if I can keep up with the 120CM wide boards :)

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:04 am

airsurfer wrote:Kite Invasion will probably be more fun, may not matter anyway so far forecasts are not calling much wind, It'll probably turn into an SUP race. I'm half tempted to bring a Flysurfer Speed 3 21M down there just to see if I can keep up with the 120CM wide boards :)

I'll be at the jupiter event as well, but yeah, I've been watching windguru and it looks like <5 knot winds or something, hah

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:33 am

I think this is a call for guys that wish to compete in this first ever kiteboarding demonstration as a part of the Olympic Race Classes. Free riding in the area isn't really feasible without a private boat. The competitors will be taken by boat to a nearby cay I understand to rig and launch. Spectators may or may not be able to see what is going on depending on where the course is located. I don't know where they are going to put it currently. It was originally planned to be held off Hobie Beach by permit but that request wasn't even entertained by the authority. Thanks to those special riders that brought that about too. Anyway, they don't need much wind for this as you can see in the video below. If folks are interested in getting in on the ground floor in what may be an Olympic event someday, this could be an opportunity. Pray for breeze.

A course race held in gnat sneeze breeze a while back in nearby Crandon Park. This is NOT the venue for this race however. It will likely be in the Bay somewhere to the west of Key Biscayne.

Return to “Kitesurfing”