Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drysuit Season!

forum for kitesurfers

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Drysuit Season!

Postby ORSales » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Just a quick heads up to the community, we have a push on now with all of our dealers to get both our amazing new Predator Surf Dry and our timeless Pyro Pro out and into your hands.

If you've been considering a drysuit for these cold winter months there is no better time to buy. Both suits are 100% breathable and feature the absolute best quality materials and workmanship available in a drysuit today.

Call your local retailer for more details!

John Z - OR

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drysuit Season!

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:12 am

Would the pyro be overkill for ocean water in south africa in January?

Dirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Global, Monarch

Postby Dirk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:00 pm

I think yes. It is summer in January in SA. Air is hot, water is cold but still double digitcCelsius degrees. Take a good 4/3 or 3/2 long leg, longsleeved wetsuit.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:04 pm

I think it would work...the new breathable cores are soft and comfy when you are sweating.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 am

Just bought the Pyro. First drysuit. Tested it out by floating around in 34deg water in it with poly and fleece under it and was very cozy. When I actually touched the water with my hands it was frightening at how scary cold the water was. Instantly realized that if ever there was a breach in any drysuit in this water you'd be dead. Period. Fast. In extreme conditions where you might not have immediate rescue does anyone ever wear a fullsuit under a drysuit for warmth and added safety? Floated around like this today as part if my own personal R&D and felt fine. Can anyone relate?

JP

smurphd
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby smurphd » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm

is there a drysuit season in sa? i think, if not cold when changing, no need for a drysuit at all

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:Would the pyro be overkill for ocean water in south africa in January?

Yes

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Said a bit more thorough:

In january it is summer in CT (south of the equator).

Water temperatures are colder than one would expect at similar latitudes, true.

But the water is still between 14 and 18 degree celcius usually, the full year (18 degree right now in CT).

And the air is really hot sometimes, or at least "warm".

As it is summer in january, some also ride in short summer steamers (short arms short legs).

But a normal summer steamer either 3mm long arm or short arm (both long legs) would do fine IMO, to be sure you are warm.

And if VERY cold sensitive, you could always use a "normal" wetsuit, like a 5/3mm, but a drysuit ? No no no....

Kindly, Peter Frank

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yomotha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:does anyone ever wear a fullsuit under a drysuit for warmth and added safety?

When I'm not wearing my cold water booties and go bare foot, I tend to get some water into the suit (pyro pro) via the ankles, so I'll wear my 2/3mm wetsuit under the drysuit only and any water that gets into the suit is non-issue.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 pm

yomotha wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:does anyone ever wear a fullsuit under a drysuit for warmth and added safety?

When I'm not wearing my cold water booties and go bare foot, I tend to get some water into the suit (pyro pro) via the ankles, so I'll wear my 2/3mm wetsuit under the drysuit only and any water that gets into the suit is non-issue.

Just out of curiosity - but why do you use a drysuit when it is sufficiently warm for a regular non-witnher wetsuit ? (barefoot = quite warm)

Or have you been "economical" and got a super summer wetsuit (2/3mm) and a drysuit, only, and saved the normal wetsuit away ?

To me it makes no sense to use a drysuit when you dont need booties...

But on the other hand - a drysuit with a very thin or no inner layer is extremely light of course :thumb:

And as most of us here prefer drysuits with "socks" - there is never any discussion about booties or not when it gets cold....

Its just, that the booties are worn, by all kitesurfers, before (or max at the same time) you change to a drysuit (or a thick 6mm winther wetsuit) here.
It might be locally dependant of your air versus water temperature though - maybe you have warmer water than air where you kite ?

Interesting !

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”