Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Starting out

Introduce yourself as a new member to the kiting community. This well tell all of us who you are and very likely you will make new kiting buddies in your area or from visiting kiters.

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Galveston
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Starting out

Postby SaltyFroger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 pm

My cousin and I got a kite for free, im honestly not even sure what size or even what brand it is, Ive been wanting to try kiteboarding for a while and now that i have a kite that may work for me i really want to get into it, i know a guy who runs a class and i plan on taking lessons before starting but i have a few questions, for starters will my wakeboard work? i know it may not be as good but for starting out, if i can save some money i would like to. Whats the difference in training kites? ive seen some advertise with 2 cords and some with 3. Last for know, what size kite should i start with? im 6'4" and 195lbs. Thanks in advance!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Re: Starting out

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am

Hi mate,

I started with a wakeboard, no probs. Forget training kites, not worth a penny. No idea for Imperial units ;) Dunno, the biggest the better with low wind...

D.

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster

Postby SaltyFroger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:06 am

1.95 meters and 88.45 kg

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster

Postby SaltyFroger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:07 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am
Hi mate,

I started with a wakeboard, no probs. Forget training kites, not worth a penny. No idea for Imperial units ;) Dunno, the biggest the better with low wind...

D.
Good to know! most forums ive read recommend working with a training kite before starting but i guess with lessons there isnt much need. Thanks for the help!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 am

No worries.

For your h/w, the bigger IS better. For me, and I'm 60kg, everything changed when got 13m instead on 9. Was up and surfing in 1 day, before was struggling for 6mths with 9m. Smaller kite needs high wind, high wind equals high risks, equals injuries.

Low wind, bigger kite, more time to react/fix issues. Still enjoying 13m, actually yesterday arvo was awesome sesh on only 15-18kn.

You'll find your own thrill.

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster

Postby SaltyFroger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Where on the kite can i find its size? I have a Naish Boxer and all i can tell is its pretty f*****g big. I got the kite for free, i inspected the harness, lines, and the kite its self based on what ive found online and it seems to all be in great condition, at this point i would just like to figure out what size im working with before showing up for lessons.

Return to “New Members”