Local Beach: Richards Bay
Style: beginner wave riding
Gear: north rebel 07
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to buy - Rhino, Rebel, Evo? Other?

Postby conrad » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm

1st time... Hi guys. Just sold my 07 Rebel9 as I was convinced I wanted 08 rebel9. Most guys here fly 08 Rebels and they all love it. I flew one for 20 minutes, but didn't play around with the settings too much. Wasn't convinced (probably lack of experience here). Most noticeable was lack of turning speed compared to the 07. Now I've heard about the 08 Rhino and the 08 Evo. Give me some guidance here.... So many kites...so little knowledge

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Re: What to buy - Rhino, Rebel, Evo? Other?

Postby Stefan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:11 am

conrad wrote:1st time... Hi guys. Just sold my 07 Rebel9 as I was convinced I wanted 08 rebel9. Most guys here fly 08 Rebels and they all love it. I flew one for 20 minutes, but didn't play around with the settings too much. Wasn't convinced (probably lack of experience here). Most noticeable was lack of turning speed compared to the 07. Now I've heard about the 08 Rhino and the 08 Evo. Give me some guidance here.... So many kites...so little knowledge
Conrad, 08 6, 7, 9 and 10 Rebel are all exceptional IMHO. More power than 07, tighter canopy and more efficient. Speed wise there is no drop off from 07 to 08-line length may be the issue on the one you rode. The real stars for me are the 7 and 9....personally I wouldn't hesitate. :thumb:

skiddz
Medium Poster

Postby skiddz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:59 am

I thought in the 08 Rebels, the sizes <9m were slowed down, and the sized >9m were sped up? Anyway, as for a new kite, what about trying a Vegas? Heaps of de-power and it's a C kite.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 am

skiddz wrote:I thought in the 08 Rebels, the sizes <9m were slowed down, and the sized >9m were sped up? Anyway, as for a new kite, what about trying a Vegas? Heaps of de-power and it's a C kite.
Skiddz, not really slowed down much I think.... just steadier across a bigger wind range so more even and less tendency to be on/off. Vegas is a great all around kite but it's not as efficient for freeride-quicker to lose power in variable wind. If you are mainly freestyle and freeride than yes-Vegas is sweet. In waves I like both unless wind is super variable in which case Rebel is superior. Best regards, :D

skiddz
Medium Poster

Postby skiddz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:07 am

Stefan wrote:
skiddz wrote:I thought in the 08 Rebels, the sizes <9m were slowed down, and the sized >9m were sped up? Anyway, as for a new kite, what about trying a Vegas? Heaps of de-power and it's a C kite.
Skiddz, not really slowed down much I think.... just steadier across a bigger wind range so more even and less tendency to be on/off. Vegas is a great all around kite but it's not as efficient for freeride-quicker to lose power in variable wind. If you are mainly freestyle and freeride than yes-Vegas is sweet. In waves I like both unless wind is super variable in which case Rebel is superior. Best regards, :D
Ah ok, thank for clearing it up. Oh, and about getting a new kite, what he said :lol: :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”