Forum for kitesurfers
garderob
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what size kite for heavy new rider?

Postby garderob » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:25 am

Hi, I'm getting bored flying slingshot trainer kite, so I feel like it's maybe time to go real. I'm newbee and cant find any info on kites' size for my 240 pounds))) I think about getting 3 sizes (It's tough to find time to go out so I want to be ready for different wind) - is 9 - 12 - 17 will be a good choice?
Sure, I'm planing to use smaller (9) and never bigger till I'll become more experienced, so what size is good for 240 pounds??

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: what size kite for heavy new rider?

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:48 am

it all depends on the winds.

I have two friends with 115 kg...and they mainly ride a 16 or 20 sqm kite.

For the beginning a 12 is good to not be overpowered, but this won't get you going in normal wind...you need about 20 knots for your 12, if not even more.

The secret will be the board in my opinion. Get something like "The Door" from http://www.spleene.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a big board, but gets you going, even in lighter winds with a smaller kite.

So, start with a board like this, and once you can handle the power of the kite etc, take a bigger kite and a smaller board. But do keep the big board for the lighter wind days.

Good luck, and keep us informed about your choices and how you progress...if you have a blog, it would be great, since there are some heavy guys out there who would like to know as well, what works and what not!

Greets
Toby

garderob
Rare Poster

Postby garderob » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks, Toby :)
Will Liquid Force Havoc 12m + Liquid Force Proof 161 board do the thing for me? I like price of board)))

Weskusjaco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Western Cape, South Africa
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Kite Surfing
Gear: Naish Cult 13.5, Naish Seat Harness, Custom Cape Doctor Board 135x44

Postby Weskusjaco » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Toby wrote:it all depends on the winds.

I have two friends with 115 kg...and they mainly ride a 16 or 20 sqm kite.

For the beginning a 12 is good to not be overpowered, but this won't get you going in normal wind...you need about 20 knots for your 12, if not even more.

The secret will be the board in my opinion. Get something like "The Door" from http://www.spleene.com
It is a big board, but gets you going, even in lighter winds with a smaller kite.

So, start with a board like this, and once you can handle the power of the kite etc, take a bigger kite and a smaller board. But do keep the big board for the lighter wind days.

Good luck, and keep us informed about your choices and how you progress...if you have a blog, it would be great, since there are some heavy guys out there who would like to know as well, what works and what not!

Greets
Toby
Hi Toby

I read this and decided to make a blog for kiting and as I fall in that heavy guy category, here goes.

http://weskusjaco.blogspot.com/

Return to “Kitesurfing”