Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bar with rope protection not sliding -> steering impacted!

Forum for kitesurfers
Youtch
Frequent Poster

Bar with rope protection not sliding -> steering impacted!

Postby Youtch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:15 am

I am writing here to share my impressions after a few sessions with a bar coming by default with protection on the chicken loop rope, and I am definitly in hope for some good advices from forum community.

I own a NOV bar (coming with eNova2), picture here:
viewtopic.php?t=2345103&p=504735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am very satisfied with the safetyness of the bar, and the overall bar design, my complain is something that might apply to all kite companies who decided to go for a PVC protection cable wrapping the power rope.

The most critical problem I found is that the bar does NOT slide as well on the power rope with the plastic as it would with a nude rope.
More concretally, you can almost forget to try to push or pull the kite while turning (especially with one hand).

I think that there are 2 factors:
1 - The plastic is more rigid than a nude rope and does not allow movement so easily if bar is steered at a big angle.
2 - The plastic offer more resistance than the rope while sliding against the carbon bar.
I don't know which of those 2 factors is the one to blame the most.

Has anyone experience the same thing with bar coming with protection on the power rope?

Is there any lubrificant solution that would work well in the water, without collecting all the sand of the beach?
I am almost considering removing the plastic of the protection with a knife to go back on the nude rope. No more condom...

I am desesperate for more experienced advices.

Thanks,
Y.

ian c
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bar with rope protection not sliding -> steering impacted!

Postby ian c » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:37 am

If it is covered with the right kind of plastic tubing it is soooo good - no changing depowers every 3-4 weeks and slides very nicely. -- all good in my experience. Maybe your company uses a different material - makes a huge diff which plastic is used.

I still use a piece cut off a 2000 wipika classic and it still has not worn out and runs through the depower hole like a knife through butter - not sure what plastic it is - I should try and find out..!

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:29 pm

How well its slides when turning probably also depends on the shape and size of the hole though the bar. But in my opinion I like plastic-coated depower line.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:40 pm

Are you capable of pushing the bar, with the bar at 45º with one hand with no resistance?

The bar is a takoon, the hole is fairly large, and it has been made wider on top and bottom on purpose. Like this:
=> <=

I don't think that it is a design issue although maybe the hole angle should be more rounded, should I try to lime them a little bit?

Could it be because it is too new still?

Any recommendation regarding lubrificant or wax?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Youtch wrote:I am almost considering removing the plastic of the protection with a knife to go back on the nude rope. No more condom...
I would remove the plastic especially that you have safety leader running next to it. I removed the plastic on my 07 Ozone because I put the safety through the bar and it would jam with the bar on the angle.

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:07 pm

I just replaced my unprotected power line w/ PU covered line and I think it is 10 times better. I also have to say I think it depends on the diameter of the hole in the bar. I have a Flexifoil bar, they did redesign it so it has the hour glas opening on the bottom of the bar, not the top of the bar facing the kite. The PU covered line is a narrower line that is more stretch resistant than what I had. Goood luck.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:49 am

the hole is quite wide also on the takoon bar, i don't know why it is difficult.

Actually it is not impossible to move the bar while turning the kite,
it is just difficult, and not smooth at all, which prevent doing fine steering with more performant kite.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:17 pm

thebroz wrote:I just replaced my unprotected power line w/ PU covered line and I think it is 10 times better. I also have to say I think it depends on the diameter of the hole in the bar. I have a Flexifoil bar, they did redesign it so it has the hour glas opening on the bottom of the bar, not the top of the bar facing the kite. The PU covered line is a narrower line that is more stretch resistant than what I had. Goood luck.
I have never heard of PU (polyurethane) coated line? are the individual strands coated or the whole line ? what is it and where do you get such line ? apparently it come in 1/4" or 5/16" for the depower line

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 pm

You can find it on Flexifoils website, it is only designed for the Flexi bar because it comes w/ the quick release attached. The PU seems to be heated to shrink tightly on to the line, I had to cut off 2 inches too shorten the center line and there was no way that line got fed thru the PU tube. It had to be wider then heated w/ heat gun. The guy at Atlantic Kiteboards, Rich Hall helped me out and carries them even though the Flexi site says they are out of stock. http://www.atlantickiteboarding.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Well.. Your spot on...

Why do you think North Vegas-Naish Torch-SS Fuel dont have it!!

ALL good freestylers would never use plastic for the same reasons you discribe.

Return to “Kitesurfing”