Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

PKRA Tarifa 2008 - Day 2

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 pm

PKRA News

Day 2 - Telefonica Movistar Kite Pro 2008
day2-0-press.jpg
day2-0-press.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
The second day of the PKRA 2008 World Tour in Tarifa, Spain dubbed the Movistar Kite Pro 2008 was a sunny day typical in southern Spain. After the skippers meeting at 11:30 am, the first possible start was delayed for several minutes to allow time for the buoys to be set. The race director tried to start the first heat twice with both times being postponed due to insufficient wind speed. Finally around 1:15 pm, the wind filled in strong enough and stayed very consistent for the rest of the day blowing between 17 and 18 knots. The single elimination was concluded for both men and women and finished around 5:30 pm. After a half hour break and the awards ceremony at the beach, the event managed to complete four heats in the double eliminations which started at 6:10 pm. Kevin Langeree won the single elimination in the men’s division while Gisela Pulido managed to defend her singles crown in the women’s division – all in an exciting second day.

Race director Olaf Van Tol also noted, “The level of performance today is exceptional, no accidents, no collisions and very nice fair conditions - great performance from all the athletes.”
day2-3-press.jpg
day2-3-press.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Moving into the game’s highlights, in the first battle of the 3rd heat, a tightly contested event between Sweden’s Mikael Blomvall (Nobile) and Germany’s Mario Rodwald (North) ensued. Riding with more power and with more switch trick difficulty, Blomvall took the win and starts another amazing charge to the podium. The two riders did over 12 tricks each, almost all with regular and switch variation. In the second round, North kiteboarder Reno Romeu took down Poland’s Maciek Kozerski (Naish) in a solid heat. The Polish kiteboarder managed to land a slim, blind judge 3, 313, KGB and kiteloop handle pass while Romeu landed a regular and switch slim, regular and switch back to blind air pass, front mobe, mobe and kiteloop slim, beating Kozerski with more powered and more technical moves.

In the 4th heat of the day, world champion and United Kingdom’s Aaron Hadlow (Flexifoil) went against Spain’s Jaime Herraiz (North) who had a late entry. Herraiz hammed it up for the crowd while Hadlow went on about winning the heat with a good display of new powered moves.

In the 6th heat of the men’s single, last year’s top place finisher Nick Jacobsen (Slingshot, Denmark) went out first round against Spain’s Cesar Portas (North). The 24-year old two-time Spanish Champion beat Jacobsen with better technical and powered moves.

Riding super powered moves and throwing in grabs, the 19-year old New Caledonian Tom Hebert (Airush) proved too stylish and powered for Michael Schitzhofer (JN, Austria) in heat #7.

In the 9th heat and into the second round of the singles, good friends Petr Tyuskevich (Russian Federation, Cabrinha) and Madison Van Heurck went head to head with the Russian kiteboarder taking the win with regular and switch front mobe, blind judge 3, 313, kite loop mobe and slim over Van Heurck’s KGB and front mobe.

In the 10th heat, Blomvall went up against a much improved Romeu. The two riders who recently stepped up the pace went head to head in the heat with Blomvall still hot from his top performance in Cabarete taking the win with more riding power and landing several regular and switch tricks. In the next heat, Austria’s Julian Hosp went down against Spain’s Alex Pastor (Naish). Although Hosp had several regular and switch tricks, the heat was judged for quality over quantity with Pastor riding with lower kite angle plus landing cleaner and generally smoother tricks.

In the 12th heat of the single freestyle competition, the two Toms – Tom Court (North, United Kingdom) and Tom Hebert went up against each other with Hebert riding more powered and with greater technical difficulty plus a few switch moves winning the heat.
At the start of the third round of the event, Alvaro Onieva (Best, Spain) was the first to claim a spot in the final four defeating Tyuskevich with super smooth and powered moves. Onieva stomped a regular and switch slim, regular and switch back to blind air pass, mobe, kiteloop 5, 313, blind judge, s-bend to blind and hasselhoff compared to the Russian’s blind judge 3, 313, slim, mobe and kiteloop handle pass.
day2-4-press.jpg
day2-4-press.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
In an upset heat of the event, Blomvall took down Hadlow in the second round of heat #13. With almost every move having a switch counterpart going large and fast, Blomvall took his chance and managed to beat the world champion. Hadlow meanwhile, went for the super technical, low kite moves but not riding as fast and therefore not popping as high. Blomvall landed an array of regular and switch move variations of slim, front mobe, mobe, back to blind air pass, shifty front side 3, blind judge and mobe, plus a kiteloop slim and double front to blind. Hadlow also landed several regular and switch move variations of hasselhoff, slim and mobe, plus a kiteloop handle pass, double s-bend to blind, front mobe tail grab and a shifty front side 3.

ExtremeElements.tv managed to interview the world champion and got his opinion about today’s event. “I had a really good day, the conditions were very nice and I thought I was riding very well. In the third round I came up against Mike Blomvall and I was pretty confident that I won it actually that I came out of the water real happy. But it was a 3-2 decision the other way which I was pretty annoyed about. Maybe the heats are close but they say a lot of people are having more altitude and travelling further, but to me I’m just trying to keep my kite in the same place when I take off with my tricks. You don’t go as far or as high but using your body more for technical ability. I’ve done like 5 switch and lots of different things but the judges are thinking a different way and that’s what helped Mike to win the heat I guess. I’m really disappointed today with how it turned out but I know what I have to do for the double eliminations so I’m just going to have to ride to the strict criteria.”
day2-6-press.jpg
day2-6-press.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
In the 14th heat before the semi-final, Pastor defeated fellow Spaniard Portas with more power overall plus cleaner execution. In the same heat, the trick machine Kevin Langeree (Naish, Netherlands) defeated Hebert and left nothing to chance going for 17 strong moves and stomping most of them. Hebert also went for his big moves and grabs but didn’t have the variety and overall power and speed of Langeree’s tricks.

ExtremeElements.tv managed to interview Hebert after the games for his assessment of his heat. “The condition was very good but the wind was not what I was prepared to – not so strong but it was okay. I did some good heats but then I went against Kevin in the third round. It was a pretty closed heat. I lost but its okay, I’ll just try to do my best in the doubles elimination.” The New Caledonian is a first-time competitor in Tarifa and he says he likes the spot much better than in Cabarete. “The wind is okay – smooth, not so strong but perfect for the 9m. The water is very cold for me but everyone is on the same condition, it’s a bit choppy but you just need to do what you know and try to do your best.”

In the men’s semi-final, Onieva got the first berth in the final round, defeating Blomvall with more powered moves and a couple of switch moves. Blomvall’s higher kite angle moves (thus less power) plus a couple of crashes hurt his chances for a top podium spot. Langeree got the other final’s berth with huge blind judge 3, KGB, front mobe, s-bend to blind with aerial handle pass, s-bend to blind, kiteloop 5, plus a mobe, 313 and non-inverted slim which were all too powerful for Pastor to match. The Spanish kiteboarder landed a mobe, non-inverted slim, regular and switch slim, regular and switch back to blind air pass but weren’t enough for the speed, power and variety of Langeree’s moves.

In the battle for third place podium position, Blomvall landed a regular and switch back to blind air pass and slim plus a front mobe, mobe and double front to blind to win against the tiring Pastor who did manage a nice front mobe to blind, regular and switch slim and mobe. Power and technical variation was the deciding factor for this round.

In the final, Langeree rode with more power which included greater technical and bigger moves, defeating Onieva who settled for second place. Langere landed a regular and switch KGB, late pass mobe, front mobe, s-bend to blind with air pass, mobe 5 and non-inverted slim chance against Onieva’s blind judge, non-inverted slim, hasselhoff, mobe and back to blind air pass.

In the women’s events, Joanna Litwin (Slingshot) defeated fellow Polish kiteboarder Wiktoria Boszko (North) in heat #5 of the second round with a blind judge and slim against Boszko’s raley to blind and raley to wrapped. Air passes are more technically difficult and so are rated much higher. Also in the same heat, Bruna Kajiya (Best, Brazil) narrowly passed Laura Fernandez (Spain, Cabrinha) with an air pass. Fernandez landed several kite loops and down loops but lacked in technical difficulty.

In the 6th heat, a powered blind judge gave Karolina Winkowska (Naish, Poland) the edge over Spain’s Angela Peral’s (North) raley to blind and downloop to blind.

In the semi-final, Kajiya and Pulido both defeated their competitors to go against each other once more in the finals. Kajiya defeated Litwin with more powered riding while the young world champion Pulido let loose a huge repertoire of tricks to defeat Winkowska.

In the battle for third place, Winkowska battled Litwin, with the two riders stomping similar moves but it came down to a huge slim from Winkowska against a smaller and less powered slim from Litwin. The final round is a different story as Kajiya had some gear trouble in the middle of the heat, loosing about two precious minutes pushing Pulido for first round honours. Kajiya managed a butt-checked blind judge and s-bend to blind compared to Pulido’s slim, front mobe, front to blind, mobe, 313 and high handle pass front mobe.

Smokie
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PKRA Tarifa 2008 - Day 2

Postby Smokie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Joanna Litwin is a Nobile rider. ;)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Kite competitions will die if this keeps up. Its more fun to watch skateboarding.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 pm

true, we need freestyle, big air and racing for it to grow. almost everyone knows this.

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 pm

bis repetita non placent.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:44 am

This video rocks on YOUTUBE.
Loved it. :thumb:

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:07 am

TomW wrote:Kite competitions will die if this keeps up. Its more fun to watch skateboarding.
Toby
true, we need freestyle, big air and racing for it to grow. almost everyone knows this
And I thought I was the only one .... I kite since 4 years and have no clue what the hell these kids are doing on the water .... for me all looks like handle passes and kite loops ..... care less if they grab the bar with their teeth then grab it with their left foot passing it before in between their legs .

Last year in Tarifa the only time I found it worth watching was the mega jump with 3 ( or it was 4 ? ) kiteloops from Hadlow and a few mega jumps from Lenten but then ..... it was blowing 40+ knots

Lou Waimann vids are more fun to watch ....

Saludos

Franz

Return to “Kitesurfing”