Forum for kitesurfers
travisjonak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot bar trouble. Please Help.

Postby travisjonak » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:14 pm

Hey guys, I'm sure this has happened to many of you guys using the slingshot profire bar so hopefully you can help. The metal bit in the center of the bar has become pretty chewed up and sharp. I found this out when my 5th line snapped right after I launched. I got a new line and filed down the metal but it still snags when I feed the depower rope through, no matter how smooth it looks. My question is, is it ok to completely remove the metal part so the lines feed directly through the fiberglas or carbon or whatever it's made of? Any help you guys could give would be great. Thanks in advance.

viktor
Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot bar trouble. Please Help.

Postby viktor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Contact them(slingshot) directly, believe that they have both phone and mail on their page.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:38 pm

What year?
I have an 05 and it was the one with the long tube coming through the bar, making extra friction, so I cut it off.
To round and smooth the edges I used a steel burr (sort of like a drill or router bit if you don't know) mounted on a 3/8 drill, then went back over the edge with a rattail file, then 200, 400, 600 grit sandpaper. Worked fine. You could use similar techniques to smooth out any other piece of metal probably. If you get too much sand in your lines though it can wear them out, and can also wear the metal to a sharp edge.

Could have made do with only the file and sandpaper, but it would be slow going.
For shaping, you might try a small abrasive drum or disk for a dremel tool on a dremel or drill. That would be cheaper to buy than the burr.
By the way, if you take the metal out and let the lines run through the fiberglass/carbon, it will destroy the lines and the bar, so don't.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 pm

travisjonak

Just hit me up with your shipping address and what size you need and i will push it through.

Cheers

Schey

Christopher Schey "shy"
Midwest Rep Kite/Wake
Rider Hotline

Slingshot Sports
www.slingshotsports.com
tel: 1-509-427-4950 ext 28
fax: 1-509-427-4566
email: c.schey@slingshotsports.com

40 SW Cascade Ave Suite 45
PO Box 1395
Stevenson, WA 98648 USA

http://www.youtube.com/user/slingshotsports

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:45 am

shymac wrote:travisjonak

Just hit me up with your shipping address and what size you need and i will push it through.

Cheers

Schey
Solid! :thumb:

One of the reasons I ride SS.

travisjonak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby travisjonak » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Hey shymac, thanks a lot I'll send you an email with the size and my address. You guys have the best customer service. I wonder if anyone other than SS and Eclipse are this helpful?

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:19 pm

I've got the same issue, I contacted Slingshot in the US and they referred me to the UK importers who i've emailed twice now - yet to have a response, maybe the guy is away, but it would be nice to find out what's going on and if there is a bar available.

Return to “Kitesurfing”