08 Rise 10m any good?

Forum for kitesurfers
wallyman
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

08 Rise 10m any good?

Postby wallyman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Have a Switchy 12m and looking at a 08 Rise 10m for the windy stuff , can anyone comment on these kites performance? Also would the bar be suitable for the Switchy cheers

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 08 Rise 10m any good?

Postby jaros » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:53 pm

What is your weight and what winds are you planing to use the Rise in?
If I were you, I would try the Rise 8m2 first. I have Rise 8 and 12 from 2008. My friend has the Rise 10 m2. I have flown them all and the size 8m2 is the best by far. You will be surprised how much power it delivers. I can use the 8m2 in winds over 15 knots on the 134x36cm board and have fun.
I have jet to find the top end, but I was close in the winds arround 35 knots.
I guess the 12/10 combination is to close anyway.
If you have the opurtunity try the kites and then decide... I allways say this to anyone but I rearly have the chance to do that myself, so I buy kites from what I read about them..... : )
Greetings,
Jaros

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider
Has thanked: 0

Postby FckGravity » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:56 pm

One of my buddies and his girl had a quiver of them last summer. He had alot of problems with them (leaking bladders, bridles etc). I think it depends on what you want it for, he was really into freestyle whereas she liked freeriding and if you are more into the second you'll find its a pretty decent kite, but it just doesn't cut it for freestyle even though many say it does.

hilly1
Rare Poster

Postby hilly1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 pm

:thumb: Good kites

The 8m may be better pairing with a 12m though.
Demo the 10 in the wind you want to use it in. The 10 would be seriously powered up in a solid 25 knots ok for freestyle but too much for wave riding.

Depends what you want it for.

Not sure on the bar with the 12, they are basic but solid bars good safety below the bar. You may just have to try it if possible.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:26 pm

By most accounts the Rise is a top tier SLE. Construction and customer service are two pretty stront suits for OR and I think there are plenty of posts to show it. Do a search on the Rise and find out for yourself. The 10 is a grunty kite that will easily keep the average 170lb rider powered on an average board in 15 knots. Its solid for the same guy up to about 30, but thats pretty much holding on and skying it. I also think the 8m fits a bit better with a 12m. Much more top end and only a couple knots difference in low end. Still plenty of overlap with a 12m. 08 was a great year for Ocean Rodeo, and there were no issues with the kite that needed correction. Its simple, robust and has great performace. Most of the changes in 09 are to the larger kites in the range. It is a freeride kite, but all SLE's are freeride kites. You want a real freestyle kite get a C. Then again, if you really wanted a pure freestyle kite you probably would have posted as much. That being said, as you get down to 8m kites its pretty easy to handle em unhooked and they loop well.

Cvaradero
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Varadero Town
Pond Road beach NL, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Pond Road Beach, NL, Canada,
Style: Wake-style/Freestyle/Surf
Gear: OR

Postby Cvaradero » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:44 pm

I think with what was said by Brent, there is nothing more to say. the Rise it is a great kite, the 08 and 2009, Ocean Rodeo will have a great 09, far better than the 08 i believe. so far every person who own or has demoed a 08 or 09 rise they have loved it. give it a try and you will see what we are talking about.

ch

dpca10
Frequent Poster

Postby dpca10 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Suprised by the comments by Fckgravity. I have heard of hardly any problems with the rise construction last year. OR has one of the best reputations for customer care in the business. I guess anything is possible with overseas manufacturing but at least with OR you are dealing with a company that stands behind their product 100%. Great kite, search around and try to demo. I am on the heavy side 200lbs, and I usually lean towards my 10m but I am always plesently surprised with the low end of my 8 when I take it out. Very fast versitile kite.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster

Postby FckGravity » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 am

Hey dpca10,

yeah sorry I wasn't trying to bash at all! I just wanted to let him know what I say you know what I mean? OR is definitely known for their superb construction so I found it a little weird too that this is what happened but I was just putting it out there. They just always had stupid little problems with them but me and my buddies who all ride Torchs never ever had any problems.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster

Postby FckGravity » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 am

Hey dpca10,

yeah sorry I wasn't trying to bash at all! I just wanted to let him know what I say you know what I mean? OR is definitely known for their superb construction so I found it a little weird too that this is what happened but I was just putting it out there. They just always had stupid little problems with them but me and my buddies who all ride Torchs never ever had any problems.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:14 am

read all of f-gravity's posts and you'll realize that bashing is the only thing he's good for

Return to “Kitesurfing”