Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Lifeguard Problem

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:47 pm

The problem is with some of us, not lifeguards.

I just spoke with a lifeguard supervisor and friend of many years at an area beach today. We've worked on lifeguard orientations to kiting as far back as 2001. I asked him how it was going with local kiters, he shook his head and said they're about to give up (on us). If that happens there could be more restrictions to join the other actual and threatened riding limitations.

What's the problem? The usual.

Guys riding inside swim area buoys, too close to bystanders, newbies rigging up among other beach patrons without a clue how to fly or avoid tangling others up. The guards try to reason with the kiter, here's the touchy part, the guards get disrespect, lip service or the like. I was told the problem was more to do with new, out of area and tourist kiters as opposed to most experienced local kiters. He said some of the experienced guys talk to the problem kiters at times which is appreciated. The problem deals in part with visiting kiters and likely problem behaviors that show up in other parts of the world at times, so I put this up here.

Guards have a full time job looking out for public safety. It isn't easy, doesn't pay barrels of money but they do it despite weather, crowds, lost kids, drunks or the odd annoying kiter. They are there to save lives and deserve our respect.

- So, if you're kiting or about to and a guard asks you to do something, why not just do it? Without a bunch of griping or insults.

- More likely, if you see a kiter doing something wrong, likely to cause problems for himself and US, go talk to him. You're doing yourself a favor even if it doesn't seem like it.

- Here's a news flash, new kiters need to be far away from bystanders both on the beach and in the water. Help convince people about this as it is in their interest as well as ours.

So, please help keep your access in place, too many areas are under threat of restrictions. Show lifeguards respect and if you can talk to some of our own, why not do it? The access you preserve may be your own.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Lifeguard Problem

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:39 pm

For riders in more populated areas with guarded beaches, this may be one of the greater threats to access you might face. That makes pretty important for some of us.

Also, we've been saying for years, before you rig up and launch in a new area, whether on vacation or just visiting, research local rules and practices.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:15 am

good to point it out.
So, if you're kiting or about to and a guard asks you to do something, why not just do it? Without a bunch of griping or insults.
it would be logical, right? But why do some guys don't get it?

And since there are always guys who give a s**t, there should be a license which could be taken away.

Best example is a guy in Miami riding at Crandon Park...he ALWAYS rides in the swimmer zone...and everyone knows how sensible that spot is...and no one says something! And every time I go there, he is doing it again and I ask locals why no one is doing anything.
Nothing happens, until he hurts someone and then it will be closed.

Unfortunately the guy thinks he can handle it all and he has money to pay whatever...our sport does not need these kind of people and not this attitude!

And also in Ft. Lauderdale, very sensible spot as well, I saw also "locals" riding in the swimmer's zone...why can't they accept the rules?

And guests should behave as such...guests!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:32 pm

All good points Toby. There are the "Tier 1" riders or the very well experienced but indifferent guys in this as well. There is a disconnect in some people's minds, to where they do illogical, destructive things, sometimes until they can't anymore. I've heard of similar kiteboarder behaviors in other parts of the world. I would like to think they are a small part of the problem. Often they won't listen and they won't change, kooks forever. Maybe some of that west coast vigilantism Wetstuff was talking about might help?

Seriously though, we just need to pull together a bit more and take the trouble to help point out problems to people, the first two tiers that may listen. Sometimes it will go well and sometimes not, seeming to be a waste of time and pain in the butt. Still we should try, blowing it off may just see you shut down. People some launches work at this effectively and minimize issues. That's a great example to copy.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ScottM » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Remember though some life guards are pretty arrogant, kinda want to give you the whole I'm in charge you'll only be able to launch if you ask me first! We used to have to do the whole rig in the trees and make a quick launch just to avoid hassle from one guy.

But you are right there is always the odd newbie or dickhead type kitesurfer who'll ruin it for the rest.

Naby
Medium Poster
Style: Learning
Gear: 10m EH / Freak Dog Vicious, 140x40Freak Dog Tracker
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Naby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:16 pm

Just make sure you address it in an appropriate way. The newbie doesn't necessarily know he's doing something wrong. Or on the water he may not always be able to giveway or keep the proper distance. If you can, why not help the new guy and get out of his way on the water.

A good example of this was when I went for my first lesson. There was a nice parking spot close to the water and the tables. I parked there. It turnes out the reason why the spot was empty was because it was the place where everyone prepares their gear. One of the intructors pointed it out and asked me in a nice, polite way to move the car. No problem.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Excellent point, try to use tact if you want things to work out. Going in hot may shut down communication before it starts although sometimes it is hard to keep anger in check admittedly. Newbies should expect kiting to be frustrating in the early days, later at times too. It is easy for experienced kiters to forget that when seeing someone do something ill advised. I try to ask how things are going, how long they've been at it and the like before making suggestions. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Still, we need to try.
Naby wrote:Just make sure you address it in an appropriate way. The newbie doesn't necessarily know he's doing something wrong. Or on the water he may not always be able to giveway or keep the proper distance. If you can, why not help the new guy and get out of his way on the water.

A good example of this was when I went for my first lesson. There was a nice parking spot close to the water and the tables. I parked there. It turnes out the reason why the spot was empty was because it was the place where everyone prepares their gear. One of the intructors pointed it out and asked me in a nice, polite way to move the car. No problem.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsurfer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:22 am

thats why it's great that there are miles of beaches without lifeguards (or tolerant lifeguards) around Miami you just need to choose where to go and we're not about to advertise for that reason right :) If you enjoy or have to ride in the most populated beaches with the most rules I feel for you, so my suggestion is talk to the lifeguards help them out with swimmers invite them to your parties and BBQs or better yet get them hooked on kiting and yes respect lifeguards swimmers and beachgoers anywhere you ride. BTW my father was a lifeguard so much respect but I prefer to ride where they aren't because they don't always make the rules they just enforce them.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm

As a rule in these parts, where there are lifeguards on duty, there is no kite launching, landing or riding within a 100 yards of shore or more. Makes it simple. There are some exceptions of course.

So, if you want to kite you often go from an unguarded area. The problem happens when guys ride into out of bounds guarded areas, launch/land in these areas or worse, mess around on shore jumping around without a harness or clue with a new kite slamming it down on bystanders!? If we stay out of their jurisdiction, we should have no problems from that quarter. People still don't do this because ... ?

If you ride within guarded areas and this is accepted, then whatever reasonable rules they come up with, you may have to deal with them. If there are problems, find out what they are on both sides of the question, get with the authorities and try to work it out and spread the results to the rest of the kiters.
ScottM wrote:Remember though some life guards are pretty arrogant, kinda want to give you the whole I'm in charge you'll only be able to launch if you ask me first! We used to have to do the whole rig in the trees and make a quick launch just to avoid hassle from one guy.

But you are right there is always the odd newbie or dickhead type kitesurfer who'll ruin it for the rest.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Kiting was banned along all of Miami Beach around 7 years ago but they have never really enforced it. I try real hard to not talk about any launch areas along that stretch for the reasons you mention and the ban. Miami's list of readily accessible public launches is a shrinking list unfortunately. Thing is population of people or even kiters don't necessarily factor into problems. One of the first bans in Florida that I can recall happened in a small town on the west coast above Tampa back in 2001. There may have been one or two kiteboarders but it was enough.

The beach I was talking about at the start of this thread is in a lesser populated town a couple of counties north of you. Smart kiters up this way do the same thing, stay away from guarded beaches to try avoid hassles. Not all do, knowingly or out of sheer ignorance, hence this post. We got to start doing this stuff right to avoid problems.
airsurfer wrote:thats why it's great that there are miles of beaches without lifeguards (or tolerant lifeguards) around Miami you just need to choose where to go and we're not about to advertise for that reason right :) If you enjoy or have to ride in the most populated beaches with the most rules I feel for you, so my suggestion is talk to the lifeguards help them out with swimmers invite them to your parties and BBQs or better yet get them hooked on kiting and yes respect lifeguards swimmers and beachgoers anywhere you ride. BTW my father was a lifeguard so much respect but I prefer to ride where they aren't because they don't always make the rules they just enforce them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”