Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Las Ventanas
Style: Freeride
Gear: 04 Boxer, Jarvis 157
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Belize in July

Postby mcag » Wed May 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Going to Belize (Amberigis Cay) the first week of July. Any idea on wind speed. I have a OR Rise 10 and 14 and wondering if I should take both. (weigh 170 with a Mako 150).

Thanks, MC

not on board
Rare Poster

Re: Kiting in Belize in July

Postby not on board » Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Was just there at end of April. The wind was good and steady but I would only bring the 14 as the wind is usually 13 to 18 and never seemed to get gusts over 25. If you don't want to bring your board, you can hire one from Sailsports. In fact you can hire all the gear if you want. I hired a 14m 2009 switchblade and 12m convert. Best ride was to take the local ferry that goes north up the Island and then do a downwinder back to wherever your hotel is. I did that and it was excellent with lots of shallow spots along the way to try tricks in and if the wind lulls, you can just continue down wind till it picks back up. Here are the website you need for current wind and forcasts, make sure to check out the history section to see what is doing for last few weeks.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... pe=WEATHER
Other link
http://www.sailsportsbelize.com/kite_surfing.html
The wind in the morning is usually the strongest so if you are an early riser, et in a quick session before breakfast. Great way to start the day and the temp is warm morning noon and night.

mcag
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Ca
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Las Ventanas
Style: Freeride
Gear: 04 Boxer, Jarvis 157

Postby mcag » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:37 am

Not on the board. Great stuff - I'll try the downwinder - did you launch from a certain beach / area? Thanks also for the wind web locations.

MC

davenyc
Rare Poster

Postby davenyc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I would say belize is the least friendly place to kite. There are an insane amount of piers to be careful of, and if you are not intermediate or better you are likely to drop the kite into one of the numerous pier remnants.

I went with all my gear had marginal wind so I might be biased, on the other hand the snorkling is amazing. Go check out the blue hole and/or at least the coral marina 1 mile off shore to the south of your spot.

But kiting there is not the best as per my opinion.

Belizekiter
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: North island Ambergris Caye Belize

Postby Belizekiter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey MC,
Bring the 14m if you can only bring 1 kite. Ambergris Caye is a great kite location, although Davenyc is correct, kiting in town isn't much fun. There are allot of piers and boat traffic. the best beaches to launch from are four to six miles north of the bridge. I launch at the beach in front of Caye Villas (4.5 miles north), right in front of Mata Grande Grocery, if you are in a cart on the road. Mata chica resort (5 miles north) and the beach just north of Belize Legacy are good launches as well. There are also some killer beachs on the back side of the island that are slick water heaven if it is too rough on the front side.. Also check out: http://windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=115301 and www.sanpedroweather.com for realtime weather data that is on the island, not in belize city. If you want more info, PM me! Have a great trip!

Return to “Kitesurfing”