Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How can I find out if a store is a confiable shop?

Forum for kitesurfers
Durao
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fuel x torch
Brand Affiliation: None

How can I find out if a store is a confiable shop?

Postby Durao » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:25 pm

I am from south America, however I found a second hand kite demo to buy, from a store in Canada... After negotiation and at the moment of the payment, the owner of the store told me that could not do that by paypal...to save taxes...

And inside of his website we has the option to pay by pay pal.... He ask me to do the transation straight by VISA, but I didn´t do!

I can not protect me without pay pal!

Is there any list, or related cases of fake dealers?

Thanks Guys!

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How can I find out if a store is a confiable shop?

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:34 pm

The first Kite I bought was online through a forum. The guy said paypal was fine, then he said it would be cheaper if we didn't it direct. I told him I would pay the extra $25 to ensure that I don't get screwed. Better to be safe than sorry.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Durao wrote:I am from south America, however I found a second hand kite demo to buy, from a store in Canada... After negotiation and at the moment of the payment, the owner of the store told me that could not do that by paypal...to save taxes...

And inside of his website we has the option to pay by pay pal.... He ask me to do the transation straight by VISA, but I didn´t do!

I can not protect me without pay pal!

Is there any list, or related cases of fake dealers?

Thanks Guys!
Canadians don't have to charge tax for goods that are to be shipped out of Canada. PayPal does take a small fee for the transfer though. I think I would just offer to pay the difference and that should make everyone happy. If they are trying to hide the income from the CRA, credit card is no better then Paypal. It would still need to be reported income. Was this am eBay store?

Durao
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fuel x torch

Postby Durao » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 am

No he is not ebay seller.

He want to do the transation straight by visa credit card, however I won´t do it!

He just lose the client!

Thanks fellow

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:26 am

You probably made a good choice. Although some vendors are respectably cautious of using PayPal because money can get held up by bogus international claims. I have used many methods to import things into Canada and I am slowly leaning to buying within Canada due to the hassles generally. Things have come a long way but there is so much room for improvement.

We are not generally crooks in Canada, or in the world of Kitesurf, there are always the bad apples though, nothing can protect you from being taken advantage of except yourself.
Cheers and good winds

Pete

Return to “Kitesurfing”