Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wait...How is the 6m park for freeriding???

Forum for kitesurfers
mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Wait...How is the 6m park for freeriding???

Postby mikewang » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 am

I'm looking to pick up the 6m...I keep reading the Park has super light bar pressure, which is a plus for me.

How is it in gusts though? Can it turn on a pivot??

I'm 135lb, range for me on this 6m would probably be 25 knots to 35 knots....

To be honest, I've flown like 10 different kites (including Torches, Deltas, SLEs), they all seem good to me, all kites have their pros and cons. :cool2: thats why its hard deciding which kite to buy.

I'd be interested in hearing Park comparisons with Torches or Wainman Smoke (my most recent 2 kites)...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wait...How is the 6m park for freeriding???

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 am

mikewang wrote:I'm looking to pick up the 6m...I keep reading the Park has super light bar pressure, which is a plus for me.

How is it in gusts though? Can it turn on a pivot??

I'm 135lb, range for me on this 6m would probably be 25 knots to 35 knots....

To be honest, I've flown like 10 different kites (including Torches, Deltas, SLEs), they all seem good to me, all kites have their pros and cons. :cool2: thats why its hard deciding which kite to buy.

I'd be interested in hearing Park comparisons with Torches or Wainman Smoke (my most recent 2 kites)...
I can't comment on the Wainman, but the 6 Park, super fast turning. Compared to the Torch, I'd say it feels a little easier to handle. It will surge forward a little earlier. I wish we had wind for that kite here...but unfortunately we don't most of the time. I am not 100% sure what you mean by pivot turns. It is the fastest turning kite I have ever used, but still with control and power.
It has good feel through the turns. Nice relaxed bar pressure, but still with feel. You'll be jumping like crazy on that kite. Every time I can take out a small Park, I am all happy, all the time.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Has thanked: 0

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:52 pm

mikewang wrote:How is it in gusts though?
Well, I'm 80Kg+ and on a nuclear day this autumn (30 to 40 knts) I used Park 6 and Bolt 6 back to back.

Park 6 :
Nervous kite (very fast turning)
Light bar pressure
Good depower but uncomfortable in strong gusts

Bolt 6 :
Fast turning (size does matter)
Light bar pressure
Very good depower and very comfortable in strong gust (thanks to Sigma + 5 struts)

For an 80kg+ rider, in these extrem conditions, the Bolt 6 was a smooth and enjoyable ride. It was more of a fight with Park.
For your weight (and use in lower wind range) the Park 6 is probably the ticket if you're an advanced+ kiter looking for a more high end kite (more demanding but more rewarding?)

Just my 2c

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

530N52
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby 530N52 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 pm

I can only comment on Park 6 compared to Bolt 7m for strapless surfing and jumping.

Park 6m is an all around great kite. Good low end power, consistent feel during jumps, fast turning and stable for wave riding. Good depower, but not as much as Bolt.

Bolt 7m is stable in gusty conditions and more depower than Park. Bolt felt less consistent as far as pressure in jumps and slower turning than Park. In the bigger sizes, I felt Park 10m was faster than Bolt 9m.

I own Parks and love them for what I like to do. Rode an entire week on Bolts in waves and felt they are solid kites too, but would not trade my Park kites for them.

Freeride is a different world, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.

Postby mikewang » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 am

Yea really cool guys. Good info all around...

Tough calll.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”