Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

tested the North Dyno 16 & 18mtr, and 15mtr speed 3 dlx,

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 pm

a weekend to test the 3 kites back to back, brilliant, and dont every think light wind sailing is dull,
it is not, and it can be brilliant if you choose the right kite for you,this is my test cut and pasted from the UK forum

18 mtr North Dyno, tested.
Well its been done, a back to back with the 16mtr & 18mtr Dyno kites,
wind 10 knts, (weather station reading and my own hand held meter) 18 mtr was pulling strong and easily powered me around on my 137 nobile 2hd, power was easy to find,18mtr kite was relatively quick and very light when comparing it to my experience on large kites of yesteryear, but I have to say its not a fun to use kite as the 16 mtr Dyno, the 18mtr is more a kite to get you going very early and that's it, the 16mtr on the other hand is a fun to to use, very quick, jumping , looping , mad kite that laughs at all other kites trying to be light wind fun to use kites, the 16mtr is a gem, the 18mtr is a race kite, much more powerful, it's a lock and load race kite, dive it and hold on, yeeeharr, but that's it, everything else is in slow motion, if I was keen to race then it would be a no brainer, but I am not, so its the 16mtr for me,
the 16 got me going in the same light air, but I had to move it around to keep the power up, but to be honest that was fun, and kept leading to many jumps and down loops, fun fun fun.
thanks for the demo kite guys, Calum - North and Mark-Board Worx, so glad I had the chance to try it out.
Originally Posted by plummet
have you flown the 17 zephur Colin? if so how does that compare? i remember you used to rave over the 15m flyusurfer speed3. I presume this lei is better for you, why?

my reply--
I flew the 16mtr North Dyno today back to back with the 15mtr speed 3 dlx, both kites were easily the best preforming kites out today at Newbrough on Anglesey, early afternoon 12-14 mph, the speed 3 is a great kite and is probably the best upwind kite out there, so smooth, so easy on the legs in choppy water probably due to the massive lift from the kite keeping all forces though the legs light and easy, = smoooooth, jumping was so floaty and soooo long, the kite is fantastic but if you want a much more responsive kite (fast) the 16mtr Dyno has it all, apart from the smooooth upwind tracking speed of the 15mtr speed 3 dlx,the jumps are quite similar- huge, the Dyno is easily the best kite for me, its more fun due to its flickability, but its a edgy kite that likes to be moved around a lot to get the best out of it,
never have I used a kite that has given so much satisfaction in light airs, its boosting ability is something else, wow!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: tested the North Dyno 16 & 18mtr, and 15mtr speed 3 dlx,

Postby plummet » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:10 pm

nice! you still got the speed 3 you can sell me? ;0

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Nice review :thumb:
Any impression of the 17m Core :?: :rollgrin:

DrLW
Last edited by DrLightWind on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:35 pm

You forgot to write your weight ? The most important thing when comparing and testing big kites !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”