New to kiteboarding, need advice on kite

Forum for kitesurfers
nafets
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New to kiteboarding, need advice on kite

Postby nafets » Thu May 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Hello guys,

I plan on starting kiteboarding this summer in Lefkada, Greece. I have previous experience with kites (powerkites and delta), windsurfing, wake, and im really good at snowboarding. Now I need to choose a kite. From the info I have gathered from the web, I realized i would need a 12m kite. What do you think of that? I weigh 180-5 LBS.

Furthermore, since I plan on buying a used equipment, what should I stay away from?

I appreciate every answer.

nafets
Medium Poster

Re: New to kiteboarding, need advice on kite

Postby nafets » Mon May 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Anyone? :S

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MattyRossJa » Tue May 15, 2012 12:20 am

nafets wrote:Hello guys,

I plan on starting kiteboarding this summer in Lefkada, Greece. I have previous experience with kites (powerkites and delta), windsurfing, wake, and im really good at snowboarding. Now I need to choose a kite. From the info I have gathered from the web, I realized i would need a 12m kite. What do you think of that? I weigh 180-5 LBS.

Furthermore, since I plan on buying a used equipment, what should I stay away from?

I appreciate every answer.

hey man,
my first kite was a 2011 cabrinha switchblade 10m ... was great for learning on and becoming advanced ... from experience, i used it a lot (included learning which meant a lot of wiping out etc.) and the hardware held up very very well over the 18 months i had it ... that's just my experience ...
ive seen some 2nd hand cabrinha 2011 gear going for quite cheap recently ..

oh and i weigh 185 lbs :P

bless

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Does anyone have an idea which size would fit me best? I was thinking of 10-12m kite. What do you think of that?

Younger
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dublin

Postby Younger » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi Nafets,

It really depends on the wind strength where you are going to kite. Best to contact someone at that spot and find out the typical wind strength and what kites sizes the average weight (like you) are using. If in doubt my advice would be to go a bit bigger rather than smaller - you can always depower the kite if it is too big but when you are starting you dont have all the skills and being a bit underpowered makes the learning curve a lot longer.

Be safe and enjoy.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Meet up with the locals is the easiest way. If there's someone there same size as you then that will really help and if they have 4 yrs experience you can probably get there old stuff ;)

But seriously.... hook up with the locals is a very good start cause they know the winds, locations and conditions by heart and probably have a real good idea on the equipment that works best there.

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:11 pm

frankm1960 wrote:Meet up with the locals is the easiest way. If there's someone there same size as you then that will really help and if they have 4 yrs experience you can probably get there old stuff ;)

But seriously.... hook up with the locals is a very good start cause they know the winds, locations and conditions by heart and probably have a real good idea on the equipment that works best there.

Thank you. You just reminded me that a friend of mine is coming back from Lefkada on friday. I would definately ask him for an advice

Return to “Kitesurfing”