Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ponchartrain
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Kiter in Nola weight 130

Postby mintyhippo1996 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Forum
I am a new kite surfer in Nola (New Orleans) so i will be doing this in lake ponchartrain with rather low wind ranges i think. i think i saw the average now is like 10mph. So im looking for a kite to go in like 10-15 mph winds for a beginner. What size should i get and what kind of board do i need.
Ps i have a rather small wakeboard and i weigh 130. probably just gonna use the wakeboard, on kind of a tight budget.

talbert99
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dallas Texas, Gulf Coast
Favorite Beaches: Gulf Coast
Gear: Tensor 5.0

Re: New Kiter in Nola weight 130

Postby talbert99 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Greetings! I'm also new (my first post). Saw this and had to respond.

I'm from New Orleans (born and raised), but now live in Dallas. All my family however is still back in NOLA. I visit very often and also share a passion for Lake Ponchartrain. Just recently got in to Power Kites (training on a Tensor 5.0 right now) and hope to be hitting the lakes here in Texas by Fall.

I also plan to be back in NOLA quite a bit (to visit family and attend Saints games). I'm sure to bring my kites when I come in to town. I'm very new to it but would love to meet up and hit the lake when I'm in town. Hope its working out for you. Drop me a line sometime.

T.

neworleansrich
Medium Poster

Re: New Kiter in Nola weight 130

Postby neworleansrich » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 pm

The local website for New Orleans is www.cat5kiteboarding.com

Send me an email and I'll add you the the list. Kiting on Lake Pontchartrain is great, but most launch sites are unforgiving. Better to make the drive to Mississippi. Most days when there is a forecast above 12kts someone will be riding at Henderson Point, MS.

Also keep in mind that kiting on the Gulf Coast is really a winter sport. Very little wind in the summer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”