Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Double English Channel crossing by kite surfing.

Forum for kitesurfers
Airhead
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Double English Channel crossing by kite surfing.

Postby Airhead » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:19 pm

This crossing will be a world first for kitesurfing, though it has been done in one direction it has not been done in both directions. This trip has taken a lot of planning and the team is made up of three English men and one French man, the team are Chris Bull, Rob Campbell, Andrew John, and Michel Carnet.

These four men are no stangers to adventure and a lot of planning and preperation has gone in to this trip along with their safety.

This Channel crossing is not just about personal adventure it is also about a good cause, Great Ormond Street Hospital. The Four men will be raising money for this world renowned childrens hospital, for more info on this please check http://www.knockout.net/gosh this will help you understand what this is all about for one these kitesurfers.

For infomation on a previous attempt check out this link it will show the map of the crossing http://www.skysystems.co.uk/collect/channel1.jpg

I hope you join me in wishing these four guy's all the best in their double English Channel crossing attempt

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:08 am

All being well and the weather staying in the guy's favour today is the day.

As things progress I will be posting them for all to see.

Keep your fingers crossed :)

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:50 am

At 11.10am Staturday 2nd October the four guy's set off, the wind is blowing 18kts at the beach but 21kts mid channel.

All was going well untill one of the RIB's got stuck in the shore break and last I heard the all four were waiting for the RIB to catch them up.

more to come as it happens

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:09 pm

this is a photo of the four

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:03 pm

Well folks I am sorry to report that at 12.35 the crossing has now been cancelled because of safety. The reason for this is one of the RIB's flipping over in the Beach break and had to much damage to continue, with only one RIB and the wind getting stronger the guy's made the hardest call of all and cancelled.

There will be another corssing in the near future, so watch this space.

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:24 am

OK folks here we go again.

Today October 5th 2004 the four are off for france. This time they left Dungeness at 10am, kitesurfers and RIBs got away from the beach with out a problem and where last seen on the horizon heading for France.

I will report more as infomation comes in

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:43 am

Don't forget to check here too.

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:30 pm

Well they got to France at around 11.55am and all looks good for the return journey. The sea state was fairly calm with only a few white caps. All being well they should be back in the UK mid afternoon.

muggy
Rare Poster

Postby muggy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:39 pm

looking out my window in Sandgate, i can see two kites coming in now - they must be about half way across the channel

Airhead
Frequent Poster

Postby Airhead » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:26 pm

A world first has happened,

At 2pm GMT on Tuesday 5th October 2004 four men Andrew John, Rob Campbell, Chris Bull and Michel Carnet made the first double crossing of the English Channel by kitesurfing.

All four made it back to Folkstone safely with Michel being the last to land, this was due to a line breakage mid crossing but with the help of Ian the camera man they got the problem sorted and he was back on his way.

All the guy's are over the moon that after a couple of failed atempts they made the crossing without a hitch. A huge big thanks to all those involved in making this happen for such a good cause and congrats to the four who without it would never of got of the ground.

Return to “Kitesurfing”