Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Member and Interested

Introduce yourself as a new member to the kiting community. This well tell all of us who you are and very likely you will make new kiting buddies in your area or from visiting kiters.


nconkl1
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

New Member and Interested

Postby nconkl1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 pm

I'm new to the sport and interested in starting. I don't have the money (nowhere close), I'm just doing research. I live in the Tampa Bay/St. Pete, Florida area and I'm wondering what are some good spots for a newbie to board at. I was also wondering if this is a good package for a beginner:

http://www.realwatersports.com/2013-liq ... te-package

I also have no idea on what size board or kite. I have some (~4 years) snowboarding experience. I'm 150 lbs. with a size 11 1/2-12 boot (when I snowboard).

If it is, that's awesome and I'll aim for that when I get a job. Thanks for the help!

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:05 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: Islamorada, Florida Keys
Contact:

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby noel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:09 am

I'm in the Florida Keys and would highly recommend taking a ride over to Water Sport West (which is in your area) and see about taking a lesson. If you buy gear as a newb from Real and have a problem with anything including warrantee, you will have to deal with them. First get a lesson as many spots in Florida are in jeopardy of bans. Don't be that guy! There are many good spots in your area and Water Sports West can help you with that info and buying new gear although you may want to start with some good used gear for cheaper. They have many great instructors that can set you in the right direction.

Also check out www.fksa.org as it is the locals forum for Florida.

nconkl1
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby nconkl1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 am

noel wrote:I'm in the Florida Keys and would highly recommend taking a ride over to Water Sport West (which is in your area) and see about taking a lesson. If you buy gear as a newb from Real and have a problem with anything including warrantee, you will have to deal with them. First get a lesson as many spots in Florida are in jeopardy of bans. Don't be that guy! There are many good spots in your area and Water Sports West can help you with that info and buying new gear although you may want to start with some good used gear for cheaper. They have many great instructors that can set you in the right direction.

Also check out www.fksa.org as it is the locals forum for Florida.


Fantastic. I'm super excited to have the money to be able to afford it all. Can you speak to anything about a good board or kite that would be good for a beginner? Or even a package? Would that package be good for me as a beginner? Also, what is a good kite size and board size?

User avatar
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:24 am

Noel is right, get a lesson from Watersports West or a local school and go from there. You shouldn't worry about gear until you know how to use it.

nconkl1
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby nconkl1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 am

slingshotucf wrote:Noel is right, get a lesson from Watersports West or a local school and go from there. You shouldn't worry about gear until you know how to use it.


Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'm just getting ahead of myself. I don't even have the money for a lesson yet lol. I just moved here so I need to find a job first. But I really miss snowboarding and being strapped in and everything and I need something to do...a hobby lol. Albeit an expensive one!

Is WSW a good shop to buy gear from too? They have a good selection? I'd much rather deal with a real shop than one online (I know real is a real shop just in NC)

User avatar
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 am

WSW is really good. Lots of gear to choose from and they'll be able to get you set up with the right stuff for your level and style. They'll also have demo gear for less that you can get after your lessons and save some $ there.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:05 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: Islamorada, Florida Keys
Contact:

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby noel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:41 am

Watersports West is the largest shop (I think) on the west coast of Florida and has everything. The owners are awesome people. www.watersportswest.com

Need a hobby eh? Go to one of the few wakeboarding cable parks such as Revolution and learn to ride the board first. If you love snowboarding then you will love wakeboarding. Great practice for when you get to the board part of the lesson and they have kickers and rails that may remind you of the snow. The best part is that it is fairly cheap and the windy season doesn't actually start for a couple of months.

nconkl1
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby nconkl1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:48 am

Revolution is FAR from where I am lol. That's a long drive. Would a cable park be good to learning kiteboarding too? I know you mentioned wake boarding but is it good for kite too? Noob question I guess.

Yeah I'll definitely check would water sports west when I get the money and can drive the hour down there. I've read some reviews tonight and they seem to be a good shop. Is used gear or clearance gear the best way to go? That seems to be the consensus here

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:05 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: Islamorada, Florida Keys
Contact:

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby noel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:25 am

Sorry! McCormicks cable park is in Tampa and much closer to you. Kiteboarding is pretty much the same as wakeboarding without the boat/add kite. Kiteboarding is 80% kite control. Learn to wakeboard before you take a kite lesson and it will speed up you learning curve a lot. Most of the guys and gals at the cable are kiters.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy a kite. If you don't know how to steer it or how to activate the releases in a hurry, the kite can drag you down the beach, thru the bushes, across the highway, thru the power lines, etc.....

nconkl1
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Member and Interested

Postby nconkl1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:40 pm

noel wrote:Sorry! McCormicks cable park is in Tampa and much closer to you. Kiteboarding is pretty much the same as wakeboarding without the boat/add kite. Kiteboarding is 80% kite control. Learn to wakeboard before you take a kite lesson and it will speed up you learning curve a lot. Most of the guys and gals at the cable are kiters.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy a kite. If you don't know how to steer it or how to activate the releases in a hurry, the kite can drag you down the beach, thru the bushes, across the highway, thru the power lines, etc.....


Yeah, I'll head over there sometime and learn a little bit about boarding first and then I'll get a lesson at Watersports West. Just gotta be able to afford it first, lol.

I'm just nervous to go by myself :). I'll make an ass of myself probably


Return to “New Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests