Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who's been in my shoes? Being a beginner sucks!

Forum for kitesurfers
DirkGently
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who's been in my shoes? Being a beginner sucks!

Postby DirkGently » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:44 am

Dude, depending on where you are, if you can get to a cable park and learn a bunch of board skills independent of the kite, you will see your 'time up riding' and associated muscle memory EXPLODE !!!

Even if its flat at the cable park, you are going to be getting stronger and stronger in technique and unnamed, unknown dynamic stability muscles that are the bread and butter of kiteboarding.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 am

Hey dude,

Main thing is just getting out and doing it as much as possible. I was in the same position as you and it took me like 3 or 4 months to really get the hang of riding just because the wind is so inconsistent here in Florida depending on when you're trying to ride. It was probably 6-8 months before I could ride upwind just because there was barely enough wind to stay up on the board until Autumn came around, haha.

It's tough, especially since whenever we get wind it also gets super choppy, sometimes big 6-8 ft+ choppy, but just keep at it and try to get a solid few people to ride with that will help you out and do downwinders with. This helps a lot.

Once you get over this hurdle it will get a LOT more fun. The season has just started, and don't worry about there being too much wind, November is usually one of the windiest months since we get cold front after cold front. The wind should slack off a bit now until late january-february when it switches around to the thermal southerlies, which are more consistent but a little lighter. Definitely will get some more nuking conditions though!

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:22 am

Can you describe what happens when you try to ride in chop?

TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake
Style: Teabagging
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby TeabagVic » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:41 am

THE BOARD MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN LEARNING!!!!

Check out Spleene Door...

Was going to give up the sports in 2007 after spending 1 week at a windy lake here, then during the last 3 days, the Flysurfer Rep from Canada Mike Dowie approach me and lend me a Spleene Door (back then Spleene and Flysurfer where somehow associated I think).

I felt shy to accept, he begged me to try it out, he said dont try to go upwind with it, just try to ride it.

On my first ~40m tact I tried to go upwind on it, unsuccessful I came back to shore telling him: "It doesnt make any difference, yes its easier to stay on it but still cant go upwind"

Then he repeat to me: "I saw you trying to go upwind like you did with your previous board, please trust me, just try to ride it, disregard trying to go upwind"

This time, I did exactly like he told me and....

After approximately 10 minutes afterwards, not only I was WAY upwind, but I started to realize:
"How the F### I get back downwind????"""""
I was trying to get downwind but couldn't at all (no board skill whatsoever). I tried to re do what I was doing during my first tack but couldn't.

*** For my last 3 days, on that board, my only way to get downwind was to "BODY DRAG DOWNWIND" every 5 to 6 tack.***

My permanent smile/happiness from being able to ride upwind was still present on the third day but was starting to disappear because I was getting upset that my only way to go downwind was to body drag downwind....

Stayed an extra day and figure out how to get downwind.

Since then I lend that Spleene Door (now the 2012) to anyone I see having difficulty going upwind. And the results are amazing!!!

You need to beg them that they accept that board (they feel shy at first), but once they try it, and succeed going upwind with it (super easy), the smile they have on their face (eyes bright,stoke etc...) makes it all worth.

I seriously find it a sin that soooo many school do not teach with it.

Probably because they know that they will lose money if the students learn too quick?

Spleene Door.

Spleene doesn't pay me to write this. I don't ride the board anymore but love to lend it to newbies, works every time.

Although in your case the problem seem more like in chop, a well known board to help out with this is the MAKO, from Ocean rodeo.

What is you weight and height, and what size kite usually people use in your area? Actually what is your local area, that will make it easier for us to give you advice.

What is you local area / beaches / spots???? And your weight/height.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:09 pm

TeabagVic wrote:THE BOARD MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN LEARNING!!!!

Check out Spleene Door...

Was going to give up the sports in 2007 after spending 1 week at a windy lake here, then during the last 3 days, the Flysurfer Rep from Canada Mike Dowie approach me and lend me a Spleene Door (back then Spleene and Flysurfer where somehow associated I think).

I felt shy to accept, he begged me to try it out, he said dont try to go upwind with it, just try to ride it.

On my first ~40m tact I tried to go upwind on it, unsuccessful I came back to shore telling him: "It doesnt make any difference, yes its easier to stay on it but still cant go upwind"

Then he repeat to me: "I saw you trying to go upwind like you did with your previous board, please trust me, just try to ride it, disregard trying to go upwind"

This time, I did exactly like he told me and....

After approximately 10 minutes afterwards, not only I was WAY upwind, but I started to realize:
"How the F### I get back downwind????"""""
I was trying to get downwind but couldn't at all (no board skill whatsoever). I tried to re do what I was doing during my first tack but couldn't.

*** For my last 3 days, on that board, my only way to get downwind was to "BODY DRAG DOWNWIND" every 5 to 6 tack.***

My permanent smile/happiness from being able to ride upwind was still present on the third day but was starting to disappear because I was getting upset that my only way to go downwind was to body drag downwind....

Stayed an extra day and figure out how to get downwind.

Since then I lend that Spleene Door (now the 2012) to anyone I see having difficulty going upwind. And the results are amazing!!!

You need to beg them that they accept that board (they feel shy at first), but once they try it, and succeed going upwind with it (super easy), the smile they have on their face (eyes bright,stoke etc...) makes it all worth.

I seriously find it a sin that soooo many school do not teach with it.

Probably because they know that they will lose money if the students learn too quick?

Spleene Door.

Spleene doesn't pay me to write this. I don't ride the board anymore but love to lend it to newbies, works every time.

Although in your case the problem seem more like in chop, a well known board to help out with this is the MAKO, from Ocean rodeo.

What is you weight and height, and what size kite usually people use in your area? Actually what is your local area, that will make it easier for us to give you advice.

What is you local area / beaches / spots???? And your weight/height.
Yep....a Door is a great investment. It gets you up and riding quickly...and you go up wind without trying. Some people say you'll outgrow it in six months and want a smaller board. That is, in my view, a nice problem to have (and worth the investment). As above I put people on mine all the time. And personally when the wind drops during a session I find it easier to grab my Door off the beach instead of blowing up another kite.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

bahflorida wrote:Hey everyone.

Took my first lesson in April, bought a kite, began to practice on my
You seem to be a fairly reasonable person... So have you made any friends? Most guys on the beach will lend a helping hand or give some advice if not to help, then to keep a guy from causing access issues etc.

If you are not able to meet some people who can help you along I would say one lesson is not sufficient. Go take another lesson and see if that gets you further... You will probably learn more in one afternoon then you have in the last 7 months.

Other then that my only advise is if its too hard, you should just give up.... ;)

Pete

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:31 pm

another comment on using a big board. yesterday there were two beginners trying to ride and keep up wind. I walked out with my 158 board and suggested they try it. Both immediately got going and were going upwind sucessfully after about 5 minutes on it.
This was also in flat water. I always tell beginners to keep to the part of our kiting area where the water is flat and keep out of the chop. It is just SO much easier to edge when you are not falling off each little chop wave.
So my suggestion would be go somewhere with flat water, borrow a big board and spend as many days as possible in a row. Learning when you only get a session or two in a month or with many days of break in between is really hard to do.
And get good instruction. A good school has you on the right board and the right kite for the wind and what you are trying to learn when you are trying to learn it. I didn't have those equipment choices or the knowledge to do that for myself when I was learning. I had a friend who taught himself with absolutely no instruction by anyone. So it can work, but it took him 4 months to get where I was after I had 6 hours of lessons.

bahflorida
Rare Poster
Local Beach: jupiter fl

Postby bahflorida » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I'd just like to give a big "thank you" for all the responses here. Much appreciated

I'm about 6'1" about 160. Pretty good shape. I've got a 142 board.

The time I went out to Curry Hammock State Park in the keys and finally got up on the board and seriously got up and rode...was an INCREDIBLE feeling. Just awesome.

I've been out to a cable park multiple times and it helped tremendously.

When I say "chop" I'm saying 6-7ft waves. Most anything that would be over my head is intimidating. Not that I'm scared of it, I just hate the idea of dropping the kite, losing the board....and spending 20 minutes reeling everything back in...

I haven't made too many connections kiteboarding. And its partly my fault. I just don't want too look like a fool out there in front of others with much more experience. Its probably all in my head.

I'm planning on heading to Bahia Honda State Park in Marathon here in about a week and a half. (December 11-14). Anybody ever been there? Really excited about finally getting some great seat time!

Thanks again everyone

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 pm

I've been kiting for almost 10 years, and I still have those sessions! Sometimes the chop bucks me around, sometimes I'm just not on my game. Kiteboaridng to me is all about chasing… and then you catch it, it's the best thing ever. We're always looking for that illusive session. That feeling when you actually jumped 20 feet once…. but 5 years later, still haven't done it again. We'll always be chasing those sessions and feelings.

I live a three hour drive form the beach and have a young family, so time is hard to come by. You may want to save up some of those weekend drives for a trip to Hatteras. One week there and your riding will improve 100%… or any vacation where it's just you and the wind. You then have all the time in the world. The other factor will be gear… and it will take you a number of years before you can actually articulate what you like in a kite, and which ones work well for you. Same for boards. Mine is custom made because I went to the builders place and told him what I wanted in a board - and I got everything I asked for. jellyfishboards.com

There will be frustrating sessions (there always will be because mother nature will rarely provide that perfect condition) but celebrate your successes. You'd be surprised how many people can't upwind body drag.

All I can suggest is to stick with it… keep chasing. ANd read read read, and watch watch watch. THere are plenty of instructional articles and tips out there to get you to that next level.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:08 pm

bahflorida wrote:
When I say "chop" I'm saying 6-7ft waves. Most anything that would be over my head is intimidating. Not that I'm scared of it, I just hate the idea of dropping the kite, losing the board....and spending 20 minutes reeling everything back in...

I haven't made too many connections kiteboarding. And its partly my fault. I just don't want too look like a fool out there in front of others with much more experience. Its probably all in my head.
1. That is not chop, and certainly not the conditions to learn in. You need to be in less then 2' chop or your progression will certainly be very slow.

2. Trust me they already know that you lack experience... An experienced kiter can pick you out before you even pump up your kite. In fact by visibly struggling and not making connections and not asking for advice you likely already look like a fool. You are the typical guy that will be the outcast cause you were to proud to accept that you suck. Stop sucking, go meet some people. Help to launch and land some kites, introduce yourself and make it known you're new and any advice is welcome... Yes you will run into the odd idiot but the connections are well worth it.
Oh lord it's hard to be humble..... :p

Return to “Kitesurfing”