Style: Beginner
Gear: Still acquiring gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gear for a beginner - kite too small?

Postby LordSnow » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Hello,
I am just starting out kiteboarding in the SF Bay area and looking for a little advice on gear. I've taken a couple lessons and decided to start picking up my own equipment. I got an excellent deal on a used kite locally (10.5m Naish). I bought the kite knowing that it is on the small side for my weight (175lbs). Will i be able to get much use out of it or would i be limited to only using it on days with high winds? I haven't purchased a board yet; would i be able to compensate for the smaller kite by using a larger board? I plan to kite mostly non-coast areas for now, (i.e. 3rd ave, Crissy Beach, and Alameda for those familiar)

Any help is appreciated.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gear for a beginner - kite too small?

Postby matth » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:26 am

10.5M and you weight 175lbs. With a 2 board combo you will get a good range from any kite.
My guess with info provided, 15/16 mph to say 25/26 mph, give or take..

You should look for another size asap. You will want to ride, and with one kite you will either go out underpowered or overpowered, one will frustrate the other can kill!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”