Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where Should I Begin?

Forum for kitesurfers
The Ozzie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: Regular
Gear: Snapshot 1.9 dual-line powerfoil from Prism and a Sector 9 longboard. (Noob).
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where Should I Begin?

Postby The Ozzie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 am

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to kiteboarding. I currently have the hang of it with a Prism Snapshot 1.9 dual-line and a regular Sector Nine longboard. However, after careful consideration, I have made the decision to make a drastic upgrade. I live in the West Valley of Arizona where the winds often reach between 10-15 kts but it's not uncommon to exceed 25 kts on a good day. I weigh about 145lbs. I want to try and get a kite that will allow me to perform jumps. Is there an all around good kite that will fly well with my specifications? Also, as a perk, could be used in the snow as well because I often go north to Snowbowl.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Where Should I Begin?

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Ozzie, sounds like you are interested in landboarding? Since you didn't mention water in your post, I'm guessing you want to continue with a mountain board and probably a 4-line kite (no water, just land)? If so, there are people here who are knowledgeable, but there are some other forums devoted to landboarding and buggying that might be better than this forum.

The Ozzie
Rare Poster
Gear: Snapshot 1.9 dual-line powerfoil from Prism and a Sector 9 longboard. (Noob).

Postby The Ozzie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Yeah, unfortunately living in Arizona I don't really have much access to water. Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to check out those forums.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:43 pm

If you don't landboard on hard sand, landboards are a pain. Kite buggies are the true all terrain machine that can cope on almost any surface.

I love my HQ Montana kites. They offer the most lift of any open cell kite I know of. I use them in my buggy and boards.

See at 0:16 secs into the video. A landboard will not work well on that grass but a buggy will glide through it. Landboard tyres only go up to 9 inch, anything larger is rare and not even nearly the size of kite buggy wheel barrow tyres. I love landboard but I would never waste my time doing it on anything other than hard sand and an onshore wind.

HQ open cells all the way. I expect at least 20% off RRP for a brand new HQ kite.

Believe it or not guys but I believe Moscow, Russia has become the center of kitre landboarding! no shit!

The Ozzie
Rare Poster

Postby The Ozzie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Awesome video! I'll keep that in mind because there is a lot of thick sand and tall grass in some of the flat places I was looking at. So, I'll either look into buggying or I'll look at different places.

Return to “Kitesurfing”