Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing. No experience boarding what so ever. Where to start?

Forum for kitesurfers
mikvahnrose
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Malibu State Park
Gear: None! Total Newbie
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing. No experience boarding what so ever. Where to start?

Postby mikvahnrose » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 am

It's been something that has always caught my eye and would love to learn how to do. I live in California and watch kite surfers pretty frequently and would love to take it up.

Problemo.

No boarding experience..what. so. ever. No surf board, skate board, snow board. Nope. I feel like a lot of people who take on kite boarding here (or i have at least read), have at least some other boarding experience.

Where do i start? I'm at ground zero, but have much enthusiasm to learn. I know it's going to be hard, but that's half the fun right?

I'm about 20-40 mins away from the beach (Santa Monica and Malibu) respectively. Know of any patient teachers out there who don't mind watching a small lady wipeout for an hour? :lol:

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch

Re: Kitesurfing. No experience boarding what so ever. Where to start?

Postby mbevo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:03 am

You don't need boarding experience. Kiteboarding is my first boardsport too. It's 80-90% kite flying.

Pick up a 2m-3m 3-LINE trainer kite and fly it according to the youtube videos. Once you are able to control it well, book a lesson and go from there. I flew my trainer kite for about 20 hours, was lot of fun and it taught me 2 things: 1. if I'm in trouble, let go of the bar. and 2. basic kite control. The real depower kite can take a little time to get use to because of the bar throw but the trainer kite will teach you good kite control so you don't accidentally send it into a loop.

Others may disagree but I think the more u fly the kite the better and safer it's gonna be for you. Took me about 10 sessions before I can ride upwind, was a lot of struggle but also tons of fun doing it too, even without actually riding.

Have fun and stay safe!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:30 am

mbevo wrote:You don't need boarding experience. Kiteboarding is my first boardsport too. It's 80-90% kite flying.

Pick up a 2m-3m 3-LINE trainer kite and fly it according to the youtube videos. Once you are able to control it well, book a lesson and go from there. I flew my trainer kite for about 20 hours, was lot of fun and it taught me 2 things: 1. if I'm in trouble, let go of the bar. and 2. basic kite control. The real depower kite can take a little time to get use to because of the bar throw but the trainer kite will teach you good kite control so you don't accidentally send it into a loop.

Others may disagree but I think the more u fly the kite the better and safer it's gonna be for you. Took me about 10 sessions before I can ride upwind, was a lot of struggle but also tons of fun doing it too, even without actually riding.

Have fun and stay safe!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Totally agree with everything said.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:59 pm

There are three kite boarding schools at Belmont Shore Long Beach. I recommend http://www.socalkitesurfing.com. Book a lesson and turn up. They provide all gear - You just need a towel and swimsuit. Once you have lessons out of the way, purchase a kite, board, and harness and continue to practice.

Belmont Shore is easy to learn as good thermal flow in the afternoons. Winds in Santa Monica/Malibu are lighter and not so reliable and are considered intermediate sites. Also way too many people at the beach on the weekends. Once you have skills and gear, you can try Malibu and north (a year or two from now).

mikvahnrose
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Malibu State Park
Gear: None! Total Newbie

Postby mikvahnrose » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 am

Thank you for the replies! But would a 2m-3m kite be too small? Idk why i feel like it would be too small
This is all so new. And i will definitely look into the link you provided foilonfoil! It will be a bit more of a drive, but you have better knowledge on the winds at the beaches than i

conorjohn5
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy hook
Style: Beginner
Gear: 3.5 ozone imp trainer

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 am

mikvahnrose wrote:Thank you for the replies! But would a 2m-3m kite be too small? Idk why i feel like it would be too small
This is all so new. And i will definitely look into the link you provided foilonfoil! It will be a bit more of a drive, but you have better knowledge on the winds at the beaches than i
I'm new to this Like you but have a lot of snowboard experience my first and right now only kite is a 3.5 trainer (0zone imp 3.5) and generates a lot of pull. So a 2 or 3 is more than enough to get you started and learning the basics of kites. A lot of people say trainers dont help and are a waste of money but i understand the wind window and control way better now than just watching videos off youtube. I'm trying to find a spot to use a landboard with my smaller kite while i wait for my chance to get real lessons in october. Good luck learning and remember everything takes practice to perfect.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:54 am

Not sure if this is clear to a beginner- but the 2-3 meter trainer kite others have referred to is not something you will ever kitesurf with. It is a smaller kite you use on land to train you how to use a kite and to prepare you for a lesson. I think it is the safest and fastest way to learn to kite, and while not powerful enough to kitesurf with, you will be surprised by how much power they generate. You are likely to trash your first kite anyways, so better a $100 trainer kite than a $1,000 real kite.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 am

1st question I ask anyone interested in kiting.

Are you super comfortable in the water? If you're not I'd think about getting comfortable in it by taking up surfing or ocean swimming.

and +100 to lots of time on a trainer kite.

Also living in SoCal get use to lots of 15m days :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”